Archinect
anchor

Do you think there is some point where editing a project after the fact becomes disingenuous?

proximity

I'm just kind of curious what people's opinions are on this. I'm taking a year off after my undergrad to work on and develop my portfolio for grad school and I'm planning to do a good amount of work on 3 projects and probably a large amount of work on my latest project.

I'm wondering if people think there is a point where you've done so much that you're misrepresenting what yourself or you've done. One the one hand you're showing the work you're capable of doing but there is also the implication that you completed it within x amount of time (normally a semesters worth of time) and at that stage of your schooling. Now of course we all edit our work after the semester's end, but do you think there is a point where it becomes unfair (maybe for lack of a better word) or is it anything goes?

I don't really think there is an answer, just kind of food for thought/discussion.

Aug 8, 14 2:16 pm
Non Sequitur

If you're asked in an interview if your portfolio projects where completed within the semester, then answer honestly that you spent time after-the-fact to spice things up. If you're lucky, this might lead to a decent discussion of what \ why some changes were necesairy.

If no one asks, then who-cares, but it would not hurt to throw in the older project as one step in the design process to show the progression of ideas.

Aug 8, 14 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think there are many people who care if you completed your work in 1 semester or not. I think that if you have the time and the inclination, re-presenting & developing your work further is a totally worthwhile endeavor. Generally I've found with my school projects that the core concepts of a project stay the same, I just find new ways to integrate or represent those original ideas, or refine them even further. If a project doesn't have the strength to stand up on its own without a huge amount of new work, I wouldn't include it in your portfolio - it's a dud. 

Aug 8, 14 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

For my projects, anyway, I'm not editing the projects themselves (in terms of the design) but creating new/improved representation. IE Sections, renders, diagrams, etc

Aug 8, 14 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

What the hell? Never heard this question before.

The answer is, of course, do whatever you like. Its ridiculous to think that your portfolio at the end of undergrad must be the portfolio you send for M.Arch applications. After undergrad I took a year out to work and significantly expand my portfolio, as well as brush up on a bunch of technical skills I felt were lacking. I was able to transfer all of that into 4 competing acceptance offers, one of which included a full ride to my top choice (which I took). I never would have received that kind of offer without busting my ass after school.

So definately do anything and everything to improve your portfolio - short of presenting work you did not do yourself.

Aug 8, 14 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

Not only is it ok...to me it's pretty much standard practice on many of the better applicants who's portfolios I review.  I couldn't care less what your abilities were in 2nd year, I want to see what you can do now.  And by reworking a past project to your current standards, you're just showing me more of what you can do.

Aug 10, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Its totally OK and I think its great that you are thinking of it. What matters in the end is how good the project is - does not matter if you took a few more days to finish it up...

Aug 10, 14 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

ofcourse its okay.. Many of my professors have recommended during final reviews to go back and see if I can improve on so and so section, pull out the project and rework it when I have time or just contemplate on it.

Many disciplines require you to finish work quick and on a given amount of time.  In our profession, that is not always the case to create our best work.  Ofcourse, at work we have to finish within the given deadline whether we like it or not.  There are two ways to take a journey.  Do you rush through like you're in a race car?  Or do you take it on like you're a hiker?  The second way will require more effort from you, take more time but the experience is deeper and you experience a lot more, see more, hear more, feel more, taste more.

Aug 10, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: