Archinect
anchor

Technical understanding in Steel and Concrete Structure

Anob

Hi,

I am a Junior Architectural Designer. I want to get better with understanding, reading and designing steel structure and concrete structures systems. I want to know what a structural engineer would look for when visiting existing buildings. I want to understand repair work to existing facades and structures, and the connections I would use.  

Can anyone give me some references to books and/or websites I can use?

(Graphic Standards and Building Construction Illustrated does not have what i am looking for)

Thanks

Aug 5, 14 8:16 pm
x intern

That's a big question.  You have something specific in mind or a reason to know what your asking about?  This is beyond the scope of most architects that's why we have structural engineers. If you have questions/concerns bring out your engineer that's why you pay them.

Over time you will learn whats a concern and whats not.  Even then you should have the engineer look it over if your adding load to a structure it wasn't designed to hold.  

Aug 6, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is this what you want? ASTM Structural Steel Design http://www.amazon.com/Structural-Steel-Designers-Handbook-Brockenbrough/dp/0071666664

Aug 6, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^oops, that isn't ASTM, it is a design handbook. 

Aug 6, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

The logical place to start are the bookstores of your local university - go to the engineering course section.  Steel is much more straight forward than concrete.  Chances are you don't want the liability, but it is helpful to be able to converse with your engineers constructively.

Aug 6, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Thanks tints. That works for now. expensive book.

I was kinda looking for a architects handbook to steel detailing. Almost like Graphic Standards but with all details in steel and concrete.

Aug 6, 14 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Many people dedicate their entire careers to these topics as engineers. You could try to network through consultants to hook up with some engineers that you could talk to about these things with. You could try getting a job that works more closely with engineers or consultants to pick up some of this knowledge. 

Ifd you do buy an ASTM or ACI book, I would be careful, as you want to know conceptually how these details are made, but unless you are a PE and can do the calculations , I would not specify welds or rebar size or anchor embedment, or anything that should be in the engineer's scope.

Aug 6, 14 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: