Archinect
anchor

advice for students

DAAd

Hello
i am second year of undergraduate architecture studies...I have just finished second semester  barely ....cuz I had problem with design process, i can say i was confused
so i want to learn from other student that have more experience

which methods you used in designing process....strating from functionality or form ?
when you draw plan do you make model in the same time..or which software do you use or recommend....sketchup or ?

Aug 5, 14 5:56 pm
awaiting_deletion

I would literally just wait for the vision. If it did not happen I would go drinking. Sometimes I got A's and sometime I got C's. It is easier is work the process and justification out post - rationally.

Aug 5, 14 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Don't worry about software. Use what works for you - nothing beats building physical models, and your profs will love you for it. It allow as you to truly understand the geometry of the spaces you are creating. Not 3d printed, hand built only.

Also, produce 1 perspective sketch and 1 physical model everyday  you are in studio, no exceptions.

As to the creative process, a tab or two of lsd and a stroll around the site ending at a park always worked for me ( in school at least - its hard to get clients to allow this)

Aug 5, 14 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

archanonymous,

You should be giving advice that is legal and not going to place you in jail. 

Aug 5, 14 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We had a client come into our firm forr a meeting, and as he left, he said, "Now go smoke a joint and come up with something cool." We all giggled. But no joint happened. 

Aug 5, 14 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Design is different for everyone, but I used to, every once in a while, get out a fresh piece of paper and draw the site and my ideas all completely from memory as I wanted them to be. Only later would I translate them into a scaled drawing that actually had to work. It helped me prioritize and visualize deeper. 

Aug 5, 14 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Jesus RB, lighten up. I think it was pretty common in studio for people to at least have a couple drinks when they hit a wall. Or other stuff. Manufactured creativity - whatever worked for them. The straight-edge'rs were the ones with boring projects and bad ideas.

Aug 5, 14 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Daad, I know how you feel, as a grad student I have learned ways to do less work and get more results. I can't describe everything here, please email me specific questions and I know you'll be far more prepared for junior year. [email protected]
Aug 5, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

BenC,

Give it a rest, if you can't be creative without use of substance abuse then you really don't belong practicing architecture. It is like competition sports and using steroids. If you can't compete in sports without use of steroids you would be disqualified. If you can't be creative without substance abuse then you should be disqualified. You degree revoked. Your license if you have was, revoked and so forth. After all, in professional practice, you would lose your license if you are intoxicated while engaging in practice of architecture.

This is a PROFESSIONAL degree so you are suppose to be professional. When you are 18 years old, you better be adult, matured and know how to follow the rules and be able to excel without intoxicating oneself with illegal substance. Listen to some music to ease your tension and STOP WORRYING about the professor or the critic. 

I can run circles around even the 5th year studio students without using drugs. As for being creative, there is being creative and there is being creative with buildability. The degree is for preparing us to be professionals working in a professional architectural employment setting.

It is one thing to have a glass of whine for dinner and a fancy dinner. The point isn't to make some bullshit concoction that you would be fired in 5 minutes at an architectural office. Otherwise, the degree and instruction is not professiona and grounds for removing NAAB accreditation. I seen 5th year students come up with crazy shit, I was able to perform on their tier level. Sure, I might do an all-nighter but if I am, I'll listen to some music and so forth. I did it at classes without a formal studio area assigned to me. All I needed is a table space. If I really needed to, I can have a table area and my portable 24x36 drafting board (or my 18x24 portable drafting board). My studio is wherever I am.  

Students should not engage is intoxicating themselves with contrabans that would screw them up for the rest of their lives and cause additions that can someday be the cause of injury or death of their clients which they would have to live with for the rest of their lives.

I did a charette a few year ago with a few other students. Two that were in the landscape architecture program. A student that was in the  environmental studies program and myself who is a building designer. We put very LONG hours and put together in 5 days an incredible amount of work while also navigating a full-time class work load. I was working out the building design and coordination. The environmental design aided in drafting and environmental research. I had like 12 hours of sleep total over the 5 day period. That was close to a decade since I last put myself to that kind of exhaustion... which was 5 days with only 3 hours of sleep. I don't do that often these days being more than 10 years older than I was in 2003. We pushed the charette to the limits. Three or four more weeks on it at half that pace and the work would have been comparable to a group terminal studio project that would be 20+ weeks.

Not bad for a 1 credit charette. 

There is no reason to use substances to be creative or excel. It takes commitment and well Sisu. For me, it was a fun group to work with because as we worked, we had good conversations to get the work done. I probably would personally drive myself quite to that extent if I was doing it all by myself. THe conversations helps to keep me awake, though.

Aug 5, 14 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

I apologize if I am a bit harsh above but the point is you shouldn't need to take LSD or anything like that. Really. Personally, I design on these class assignments as if I was designing for a real client. Otherwise, it is kind of pointless to me. My personal drive in designing is highest when there is meaningful purpose to the design. 

Serving a client and finding a creative design solution to meet the clients needs, dreams, desires and the challenges of budget is exactly was drives me. The "problem" is real. The more real the project is, the more real it is to me and therefore the more it drives me.

Aug 5, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

work hard, sketch alot, work with physical materials and models. It takes mastery of line, form, and material before you are going to put them all together into masterful architecture. I am certainly not there yet.

I apologize if my advice came off as "go trip your balls off and you'll magically conjure up a building." Don't do drugs, ok? 

Although.... 

Aug 5, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Has there ever actually been a case where an architect lost their license for designing while intoxicated?  I thought most architects became alcoholics

You're in college.  If you want to responsibly try out some recreational drug use, why not?  On the other hand, 3 hours of sleep in 5 days sounds unhealthy.  Budget your time, and remember stress will probably kill you before the drugs anyway

Don't drink and drive

Aug 6, 14 7:40 am  · 
 · 
aku.gonz

Hello.

I dont have talented for that time. but, i think architecture is something that can be learned. So, for the first time you can seeing and reading of many magazines architecture. The theory and the picture will be inspiration of you.

Thats it.

Aug 6, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

If there is one profession where it is allowed (even encouraged) to be intoxicated while practicing, it is this one. If you could get your license taken away for that, there would be a huge number of architects losing their license. Maybe that's an idea for thinning the herd, start turning in licensed architects that practice architecture while lit to clean out the ranks a bit. 

Aug 6, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

At any rate, I didn't mean to throw this discussion so off-track with such a minor comment. 

I suppose my point was that architecture can become suffocating, especially in studio with the theory and lectures and pressure. Relax yourself, go to the site, and try visualizing the building. Designing from an experiential vantage point, even if it is in your mind, beats the hell out of drawing plans to try and find inspiration.

I would never check for code compliance or work with a consulting engineer while under the influence of substances, but there are plenty of times I want a nice scotch or some working weed while I am sketching design concepts or building models. Architecture is the mairrage of art and science, amongst other things, and intoxication can absolutely stimulate creative impulses to feed the artistic side.

Aug 6, 14 10:29 am  · 
 · 
DAAd

c'mon guys is drinking and taking naps only solution
I think that studying of works of other architect can be helpful....or reading magazines and archi websites....what can be inspirational source for architecture ?
sometimes i have nice ideas which are complicated and i can't release them because of lack of software,theory knowledge
revit is kind complicated for me but you can make nice forms.....i am used to sketch up logic so  i have problem to get used to revit logic of drawing plans then goning to 3d view...i was thinking on going on course for revit or archicad which one is better for you ?

Aug 6, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

in my opinion, try to develop your idea in your head first, then use whatever tool to communicate and develop that idea.  so if you're designing the parthenon, picture the parthenon in you head, then get it out of you head and onto a piece of paper or a computer screen or whatever.

if you're in school, you might want to pay attention to what your professor wants.  some people think they only way to design is using pencil and trace paper.  if that's the studio you're in, then try to focus on using pencil and paper to communicate your idea.  practice sketching.  sketch other buildings.  get used to pencil and paper.

other professors might think you need build chip board models.  if that's the case, then focus on using chip board to get the idea from your head to the model.  make lots of models.  make mistakes.  learn to do it better.  try not to bleed too much on your project.

still others might want you to develop some sort of 3d rendering software.  if that's the case, then use the tool your professor wants and do what you can to learn it.  ask questions when you have questions to ask and all that.  if you're able to ask your professor questions, it might be best to keep a list of what you want to ask and get it all out at once, rather than expecting them to be available at every whim.

of course there are also professors that are more interested in what you're thinking rather than what tool you're trying to learn how to use.  in that case, maybe use the tool you feel most comfortable with, or spend some time developing your skills with the tools you feel you need to develop.  school is a time of learning, so in the long run learning is the best use of your time.

the professors that are more interested in your thought process rather than the tool your using are probably going to be the best.  listen to them, and keep an open mind.

instead of taking naps, get a good 8 hours of sleep.

Aug 6, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'll add more to that

to develop your brain, think about buildings.  while you walk along campus, or down a residential street, look at the buildings and think about how they go together.  did they put columns in front of a porch?  how is the porch proportioned to the rest of the building?  does look good?  if it's something you don't like, try to figure out why you really don't like it.  how would you do it better?  if you changed it, would it be somewhere a person would actually want to live?

how does the entry sequence work for your student union or classroom building or whatever?  do people seem comfortable going in and out of the vestibule?  are there like 20 doors, and if so, are people using all the doors or just one or two?  try to think through why that might be.  is the atrium comfortable?  is it big?  not big?  do you like it, and if you could would you change it?  is wayfinding intuitive to get to whichever room you're trying to get to?

those i think are some very general and generic questions you could ask yourself while experiencing the architecture around you, rather than simply being a passive element within the architecture.  pick a detail you like, and think about it.  that's how, in my opinion, you get your brain to start working in a way that will work better for architectural design.

Aug 6, 14 11:35 am  · 
 · 
DAAd

thank you curtkram :)

Aug 6, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram,

Thanks for that addition of thought on design.

Aug 6, 14 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
insomniarch

This thread made me laugh. that is all.

Aug 7, 14 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: