Archinect
anchor

Big career changes within Architecture - how to deal

archanonymous

The last time you made a big career change, were you anxious, worried, excited, terrified? How did you deal with that? What did you use to "center" yourself?

Do any of the older practitioners remember what their first major career move/ job change was like?

Any tips for landing in a new city and connecting to the zeitgeist there, making friends and connections, and thriving?

I am about to give my notice at a stable job paying 55k/ year with 2-3 years of future work lined up, all because it is not leading me towards licensure, and after a lot of soul-searching, I know, logically and emotionally, that I want to be an Architect, with a capital "A". 

Aug 5, 14 11:18 am
chigurh

Do it!

I experienced all of those emotions every time I prepared to switch jobs.  

It is hard to leave a mellow, good paying job and you will probably experience growing pains in your new position, but always remember you will be making huge leaps forward towards your overall career ambitions and professional development.  

I did the same thing, numerous times, I had some good experiences and bad, but everyone of them helped me move forward, learn new things, see different office structures, and meet new people.  

I think back to my first job out of school and there are people still working there, doing the same exact thing they were doing 10 years ago.  boring.  

Aug 5, 14 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

I did a major career shift at age 37 (into self-employment in a new city) and again at age 45 (into facilities management).

I admit that going back on Archinect and reading old posts helps remind me whether what I valued 10-15 years ago has either changed or held true. Looking over my portfolio going all the way back to undergrad does the same.

My best networking/ community zeitgeisting has been via my son's school PTA, volunteering with my local AIA, and doing reviews for the local(ish) architecture school.

It's exciting for you!  And there's more to say, but I really need to work now.

Aug 5, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Thanks for the support! I had no idea to what to expect in response.

I have never worked in "good times" having graduated shortly after '08, and I feel like myself and my peers are really cautious - almost everyone who got a job out of school has clung to it like a liferaft, only recently have some people started talking about moving around. 

I have a job 90% lined up... It is really hard to get an employer to commit when I have not yet completed my move, but am flying out to sign letters of intent, etc... before I do actually move. Also have contract work fallback lined up in my current city, so I can feel comfortable resigning. 

Aug 5, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Congrats on a new chapter. Change is good. If there is one thing I regret, it is not moving around enough. Everyone does things differently and you can learn from them all and take the best practices from each. 

Aug 5, 14 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Just left my letter of resignation at work/ sent via e-mail. can't go back now. some scotch, I need some scotch.

Aug 5, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations!!!!  You know what they say: leap and the net will appear. 

Aug 5, 14 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: