Archinect
anchor

Euro architect thinking about moving to the US...

j.idiot

right now im finishing my studies and at the same time working at my uncles firm, recently i started thinking about moving to Chicago and i have a few questions

1.Should i bother getting a doctorate, is it worth anything when looking for a job at a private practice ?

2.Can someone explain the licencing process for foreigners 

3.Would i be able to find a job without a licence and if yes how much would i make?

Aug 4, 14 11:17 pm

1. You need to evaluate your education such as via the EESA. You have to evaluate between just taking the courses you need after an EESA evaluation or go through thr BEFA process or pursue an NAAB accredited degree of architecture.

2. Foreigners is not always clear cut. BEFA process via NCARB is one way. It typically involves an EESA evaluation. It also depends on the state. In some cases, there is pursuing an NAAB accredited degree in the U.S. Sometimes, you can pursue just the courses you need. This would take more info to realy guide you in the right direction.

3. That's a hard one to say. It all depends. If you have good English speaking skills, you will be more employable.

Aug 4, 14 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
j.idiot

Wow, sounds really complicated...  how long would it take me to get the licence?

Aug 5, 14 12:04 am  · 
 · 

There are some more advices that other can go in more detail on. Before jumping to U.S., the question is why do you want to practice in the U.S.? U.S. isn't in a hot period for architecture. We have probably a 60-70% unemployment/underemployment rate in architecture still or something like that. We have enough problems hiring domestically. There is more hotter markets like the middle east. Not talking about Israel area but the United Emirates and other OPEC nations on the southern parts of the Saudi Arabia peninsula. There is also China and some other spots. Why U.S. in this era of declining demand for architects?

Just some things to consider before investing in moving to the U.S.

Aug 5, 14 12:07 am  · 
 · 

If you take the NAAB accredited degree, this may take a handful of years.

Regarding the BEFA process:

The current BEFA policy is a long duration and significant ordeal. HOWEVER, I advise that you wait a little bit. NCARB is in the process of updating the BEA and BEFA program in significantly streamlining the process. 

Aug 5, 14 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how quick an EESA evaluation would be.

The amount of time isn't always quick and not always cheap. The U.S. architecture field isn't exactly eager to promote foreigners coming to U.S. to practice architecture.

Aug 5, 14 12:23 am  · 
 · 
j.idiot

ive thought about it a lot, in the beginning i wanted to move to Sweden,Denmark or Norway because of the booming design industry there plus im fluent in Swedish and Danish and i love the Scandinavian mentality, eventually i ended up taking a trip to Malmö to test the waters and i was put off by the low salaries and ridiculously expensive apartments, plus theres the influx of violent middle eastern immigrants and the Nordic governments are too tolerant to do anything about it so in about 20 years they wont be the same countries... as for the U.E. and Saudi Arabia, living in a Islamic state goes against my moral principles so i wouldn't even think about it. Canada is my second choice if anyone has any info on getting a licence there feel free to comment 

Aug 5, 14 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Canada has essentially the same process, and the market is pretty much similar to the US. They've also cracked down on foreign working permits in the last 6 months because of businesses (not necessarily arch) cheating the system. I'd be wary of doing the move.

Going to Malmo is a pretty poor indicator of the Scandinavian countries; I lived there for 5 months and the places are fantastic. Look at the other major cities; hell, if you were in Malmo why didn't you go to Copenhagen?

Aug 5, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sofya

Why aren't you thinking about working in Russia? There is one of the biggest market in the world. There are lots of open competitions in architecture and design. What do you think about it?

Aug 5, 14 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: