Archinect
anchor

Alejandro Zaera-Polo accused of plagiarism

b3tadine[sutures]
Hey, cuntcake, fuck off. Racist cuck fetishist.
Nov 7, 17 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm waiting for this cuck fetishista to break out his 14 words, because I just realized that my Red Wings, with red laces, have 14 eyelets, and I'd like to plant my size 11's in his ass.

I won't entertain the Richard Spencer of Architecture in a fucking debate. I will however;

Nov 7, 17 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Look at you dinoWallace'63 standing in the schoolhouse door, your Imp Wizard must be so proud. Maybe you could burn some crosses while you're Making Princeton Great Again.

Nov 7, 17 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

dino:

Nov 8, 17 5:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why are there only 3 people wearing hard hats... and no-one with safety boots? That's a badly managed site.

Nov 8, 17 8:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe could update the wiki entry to include poor site management: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_in_the_Schoolhouse_Door

Nov 8, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

all this over an unknown plagiarist? man you are a wanker! get a bit of air from time to time.

Nov 8, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Unknown?

Nov 9, 17 2:24 am  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

I hate to break this silence, unfortunately not with news from the court, but with other news which relate to the cynicism of some of our favorite characters: President Eisgruber and Deborah Prentice. Princeton has just been named as one of the institutions listed in the Paradise papers, investing in Cayman Islands hedge funds, pumping cash into fossil fuels: 

http://www.nj.com/education/2017/11/rutgers_princeton_among_schools_with_cash_in_offsh.html

https://www.theguardian.com/ne...

Here they are, all the way up with people like Wilbur Ross, Rex Tillerson and Steve Mnuchin. So much so for the recast Princeton motto: “Princeton in the Nation’s Service, and in the Service of All Nations.” Eisgruber forgot to add: “and with the cash in the Cayman Islands.”

Btw, not the first time they are found trying to dodge taxes:

https://planetprinceton.com/2016/02/08/princeton-university-loses-yet-another-round-in-state-tax-court/

And btw, is it even legal to run ethnically targeted faculty searches? Next lawsuit looming?

Nov 9, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nov 15, 17 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Princeton laws are subject to Federal laws, like those listed in Princeton’s website on equal opportunity. 

Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.

Again- this is all just a campaign of character assassination...

Nov 15, 17 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

Happy 2018. With a heavy heart I have to say that I have now received the court documents, which do not include any of the expected redacted documents. The reason is that the case has been apparently closed by the parties, and the court has disposed of all the interim documents! This sounds dodgy to me as I have requested these documents back in the summer and the Stipulation of Dismissal dates from October. What I got from the court confirms that there was a discussion on confidentiality though. I am uploading the documents for whoever wants to look at them, but they only confirm that Princeton’s Motions were dismissed, with no further detail. So, all our expectations for exposure of Ever-soiled, Mucksack, Fried-Brains and Foil’s actions came to nothing. And we may never hear the full story about the intrigues of Boyer, Gandelsonas and Nordenson… Either Princeton settled out of court, or AZP ran out of money or became frustrated with the process. Looks as if everything will remain hidden by Princeton’s confidentiality of process. Most disappointing is that Eisgruber’s reappointment will have one less obstacle now that this mess is out of the way. So, five more years of pompous mediocrity at the helm of the Princeton. Anyhow, the SoA’s downward spiral into utter irrelevance is unstoppable, even with another President: Eisgruber has already finished its job.

Here are the links for what is worth:

https://drive.google.com/open?...

Jan 7, 18 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So hopefully now this thread can die.

Jan 8, 18 3:48 am  · 
 · 
drinks_at_avec

Following up on Marc's pithy questions:

1) How do you define excellence in Architectural education? Is it what happens in the classroom? People come in with a "skull full of mush" and emerge like one of Professor Kingsfield's students?

2) Following up on that is there a difference between practice and academia? If ZP designed some great buildings-Yokohama terminal comes to mind–does that make him a great teacher or dean? 

3) Most candidates for jobs are white so how does considering three African American candidates make it wrong? What are their qualifications? Can we compare qualifications and eliminate race from the discussion?

4) How do you define excellence in architectural high ed? Give us some examples of teachers who demonstrate that.

5) How do you disentangle politics from who gets hired in hire ed? Is this possible? Do the best candidates get hired? Why or why not?

6) Who do you think should be the next dean at the SoA? Why? What skills should they have? What would a "legitimate" search look like?

Jan 7, 18 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*2) Alejandro ZP had been the dean of The Berlage for 3 or 4 years in the past and runs/ran? an AA Diploma Unit for 7 or 8 years or so. You don't get to do those for that long at those places if you didn't have a clue about teaching/academia in my opinion.

Jan 8, 18 3:56 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Why won't this thread die?

Jan 9, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Oh shit didn't mean to start a new page. I'm sorry everyone.

Jan 9, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's perfect actually, starting with a clean slate :)

Jan 9, 18 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

Sorry about the mystery Dinosaur. I have the same curiosity about you but let’s keep it this way. There is a lot of people reading this now. I agree with you about keeping it going. Without the lawsuit, the information will be substantially reduced, but we can record the unstoppable degradation of the SoA at the hands of the Princeton leadership, and hopefully affect processes like that infamous search. There are some things we can do. For example, I am not sure why we cannot name Ever-soiled, Mucksack, Fried-Brains and Foil. It may be that Archinect will censor it, but there are other vehicles to expose these rats. After all, we are not violating FERPA because we have not been involved in the process and we do not have access to confidential information from the university process. At the same time, at least my evidence is only testimonial, and to convert it into real evidence will need depositions. That’s where the court process would have become quite handy. I was hoping we would see some of that from the court documents.

Jan 10, 18 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

what happened did he plagiarize or not

Jan 10, 18 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
landslide2016

Of course not. How can he plagiarize in a work of public information which contains an opening statement which opens with a denial of its academic status and is authored by Rem Koolhaas? He has posted in his website a detailed account of the instances of paraphrasis of unlisted academic sources contained in the Biennale document. There were around 15 sentences, taken mostly from Wikipedia, describing building materials and other details, and available from several sources. You can check it out. Even by strict academic standards, the accusation is petty beyond belief. Only Princeton’s infinite stupidity would give credit to a few students (listed above under aliases) who were dismissed from the research, and some begrudged geriatric faculty (listed above too, average age 75), and try to impose petty academic rules on work that lies outside academia. And make the very damaging fuss they made. Truly idiotic. I am also miffed about the interruption of the lawsuit.

Jan 11, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

ok.... anyone other than Alejandro have thoughts about this?

Jan 12, 18 12:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Only 100+ comments or so, happy reading :)

Jan 12, 18 2:31 am  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

I’ll take a stab at translating that landslide's post.

1) No, he didn’t plagiarize. How dare you sir!

2) Ok, he did plagiarize. But he got his information from the internet. Everybody gets their information from the internet. Rem said it was ok. It’s not fair!

3) Ok, he says he only plagiarized 15 times (20 would be a scandal, but 15 is no biggie) and he said it on his website so it must be true, believe me!

4) Its really not fair!

5) Princeton sucks, infinitely!

6) Students suck. It’s not fair!

7) Faculty are old. They didn’t like him. It’s not fair!  

Best part is the end: “interrupted” lawsuit. If he had won you guys wouldn’t be posting here. So he lost the lawsuit, right?

Correction: best part: a troll lecturing on rigorous academic standards while defending a person who plagiarized Wikipedia .

btw. you know why you don’t plagiarize the internet? cause you can’t trust anything out there to be accurate. 

Jan 12, 18 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You made an account for that?

Jan 12, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

yeah, i suck. i'm a noob.

Jan 13, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My guess is this is not your first archinect account.

Jan 13, 18 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

This is interesting. Not only the lawyers were probably keeping an eye on this, but the lawsuit was stopped “without prejudice” as far as I can tell. This means that the Plaintiff withdrew the damages, but not the accusations. That means that it could restart anytime. It is like a Damocles sword.

Jan 13, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

here’s what Wikipedia says (so it must be true): “in a civil case, dismissal without prejudice is a dismissal that allows for re-filing of the case in the future. The present action is dismissed but the possibility remains open that the plaintiff may file another suit on the same claim.” there’s no judgment if you drop a lawsuit. without prejudice means that the judge ruled on something, most likely he/she dismissed some or all of the lawsuit, otherwise, there’d be no discussion of prejudice one way or the other. I guess the judge said, if you ever find the magical evidence that proves you didn’t plagiarize, then you can file your lawsuit again. btw: see how easy it was for me to not plagiarize Wikipedia?

Jan 13, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

Cecilbnocolumns, if you read the court documents carefully, you will see that the judge did not rule on Princeton’s actions (that was the matter of the lawsuit). Otherwise there would have been a rational about the rule in the verdict. It did rule against both of Princeton’s Motions to Dismiss and to Seal, and it dismissed both and authorized the documents to be made public. Not even one of the counts against Princeton were dismissed in the verdict. Then the claim appears to have been withdrawn. We do not know why, and since the court is not supplying the submissions of the two rulings, only the parties can make them public. The verdict does not specify if the claim was withdrawn with or without prejudice, but I presume that if there was an agreement on that sense, it would be clearly stated in the Stipulation of Dismissal.

Jan 13, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

that’s not the point. you said the lawsuit “was stopped without prejudice.” you misstated the meaning. only a judge ends a legal matter “without prejudice.” a prosecutor or a plaintiff cannot. only a judge. withdrawing a lawsuit has nothing to do with prejudice. either you have direct information about the lawsuit and something was ruled on and that is why you used the term or you should say that you made a mistake. you’re also misusing the term “verdict.” a verdict is a “conclusive finding of fact” according to Wikipedia. a judge rules on a motion, a judge does not render a verdict on a motion. maybe you should stick to the racism debates and leave the law stuff alone.

Jan 14, 18 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

I am inferring that it was stopped without prejudice, because the statement of dismissal does not say "with prejudice." I am not an expert but I happen to know one, and if the statement does not say so, the claims may be brought back. It is unlikely that Princeton did not realize that. I did have a talk with the clerk when I inquired for the docs and he mentioned that the case was not heard because it was withdrawn. The case was not heard by the judge after the dismissals of Princeton's Motions toe Dismiss and to Seal.

Jan 14, 18 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Don’t you think, randomized, that the real racists are those who set out searches which exclude every candidate who is not an African-American? How do you explain the SoA faculty rubberstamping three in a row,"

No, I think you're the real racist here. The fact you even mention "three in a row" so casual makes me sick. It's like all you see is their skin colour and the reason they shouldn't have been hired is because of the colour of their skin.

Jan 13, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

when everyone tells you that what you said is racially offensive and insensitive and you say the same crap again and again, that kinda confirms you’re a racist. dinosaur and tigers are exactly like trump. is trump a racist deep down? (yes) or is he just pretending to be one to stir up trouble, get press coverage, distract from his incompetence and crimes, and make the racists out there who voted for him happy? (he and his people want you to think it) you guys are doing the same thing. are you really racists deep down? (you’re so good at it!) or are you just stirring up racial controversy to distract from plagiarism? don’t bother replying. the answer doesn’t matter.

Jan 13, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Dinosaur2.0's comment has been hidden
Dinosaur2.0

You are the only one obsessed. For us it is a side show, just another index of the wave of sick political correctness which is used as a cover-up of the most outrageous actions in Princeton: false accusations of plagiarism, breaches of confidentiality and university standards, tax evasion and even racism, while pretending to maintain “high ethical standards.”

The number of people they hired is irrelevant to the discussion. The fact is that the SoA ran an ethnically-targeted search whose outcome was supposed to be more relevant and ended up falling short of that to the embarrassment of the school. I guess you are looking forward to the day when universities and companies are allowed to hire African-Americans or Asians or Hispanics or Whites, exclusively...  Like Eisgruber & Co., within your righteous world of politically correct people, you are unable to see your own racism, just like cecilbnocolumns is unable to see his own academic idiocy. You are all so right, up there in the high moral ground that you cannot see your own racism or pettiness any more. Sorry to tell you that on top of racist and petty, you are dumb.  

Jan 14, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

i looked at Princeton's website and you can see older versions of the content. the school had no black faculty until recently. when Zaera was in charge, no African Americans or anyone of color taught there (privileged Spaniards don't count). they needed to diversify. there is nothing wrong with it. in fact, good for Ponce De Leon.

Jan 14, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

tomorrow is Martin Luther King Day. lets give hate a holiday and stop the racially charged posts, ok dino?

Jan 14, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
3 years and still burning strong.
Jan 14, 18 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
landslide2016

I do not know if you guys have tried the link from Dinosaur2.0, but in the AZP website, the statement about his resignation and the alleged instances of plagiarism are under a cover that reads “The Pinnacles of Academic Idiocy. Princeton University 2014-2017.” He is using a Princeton-themed font. What’s that about?

I like the Pinnacles. Very Princetonian neogothic! But I am sure Princeton will not find it very funny.

Jan 15, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is a whole world outside of academia.  Some people ought to check it out sometimes.

Jan 15, 18 11:53 am  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

good point. i think Zaera will now be spending a lot of time outside of academia.

Jan 15, 18 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
landslide2016

I can’t see he would want to spend much time in Princeton… but he remains a Professor there. He seem to be taking academic freedom to an entirely new level. It is rare to see Professors openly criticising their own institution for academic idiocy. That’s progress!

Jan 15, 18 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
cecilbnocolumns

enjoying another bottle of rioja tonight, are we?

Jan 15, 18 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

who cares about azp, he is borderline irrelevant ever since he cheated on farshid with his intern and broke up FOA.    farshid was always the talent and azp little more than a marketing entity who knew how to butter up academics and clients.  

Jan 16, 18 10:17 am  · 
 · 
landslide2016

At buttering up academics he is does not appear to be very good. Did Farshid tell you that story?

Jan 16, 18 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

he is a master at creating an aura of sophistication, class, and exoticness which meant nobody ever looked that much into what he said or wrote; he was sexy and exotic and oh so irresistible to bring around to lectures/lunches/have as a guest critic or better yet teach a studio. of course once people start looking, the artifice fell away, and once he salted the earth with farshid, he had to stand on his own as a designer. the last 8 years tell you everything vis. his abilities as an architect: close to nil

Jan 20, 18 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
landslide2016

If you say so… you are entitled to your opinion. However, you should be careful about making baseless allegations about sex with interns, anonymously. I am surprised the moderators let you make such statements while erasing perfectly reasonable opinions.

Jan 24, 18 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Okay dinoracist, here's the evidence:

"You still do not get that I have nothing against black professors. I am sure these guys are wonderful. I am against hiring three of them, maybe four, one after another in a department of twelve (that is, if the rumors are correct, can anybody else confirm?)."

You are saying "I have nothing against black professors" but you don't want Princeton to hire 3 black professors, that is simply racist! You don't see them as professors but as black professors, and you don't want black professors, you want them gone because of the colour of their skin.

It's like saying you have nothing against black people, but you don't want your daughter to date a black person. You're a classic racist! The fact you can't even see or acknowledge that makes you an even bigger racist. 

Jan 18, 18 7:04 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Agreed

Jan 18, 18 7:44 am  · 
 · 

Points to consider from this thread- 

1- This thread started on the premise that Dean of the School of Architecture would possibly face review formally accused of plagiarism.

2- This thread was about the development of this situation until 18 July 17 at 7.53pm. Until this point in time, the comments were disciplined with links (citations) to document development. 

3- On 18 July 17, thirty minutes later the tone of the thread takes a drastic turn and relies on undocumented information to describe what some would like to see as a crisis. This marks a threshold given that the amount of recorded information regarding the events that the thread was originally (see the 1st post) about decreased significantly in favor of complaints about faculty and staff (w/o demonstrable documentation/citation). 

So no, the core issue was not, Eisgruber-bashing, the whole title VII affair, the taxes and in general all the sick PC business in Princeton. Those are tangential, and non-productive.

But these tangents reveal something else. For some this thread has devolved into a panic about loosing control of pedagogy and what they see as the academy. 

I mentioned earlier that this is about  character assassination. But it's also about trolling members of the Archinect community by stoking the fire with dog whistles. 

I, for one, call for this to get back to the original purpose to the thread- to document the developments around the original claims of plagiarism and the lawsuit. The rest of this mudslinging and name calling is irrelevant and counter-productive. 

Jan 18, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

1st post in reply-

I'm not clear why sanctions against a Dean for what may or may not have been improper citations in a significant publication leads to the hire of an underrepresented minority. Quick narrative summary as I understand the space between the first and second paragraph.

ADMIN- Was the text lifted from Wikipedia?

ASST- It appears so.

ADMIN- Is it egregious enough that if it were a student they would be failed for the work they produced?

ASST- If it were my class in the humanities, it would have been thrown out. 

ADMIN- (Looking out the window and into the distance) it looks like we can finally replace him with and underrepresented minority at the assistant professor level, make the call... 

And so you do agree, that the original intention was not about character assassinations of Eisgruber, and you co-opted it for that purpose. Again, I found the documentation far more effective than "I've seen it with my eyes, but I wasn't given a copy."

Jan 18, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

2nd reply-

"Do you doubt that the racially targeted search did take place?" 

If you sincerely see this as a problem, why not post a thread to discuss it? It's not a new practice- it hasn't been a new practice for ages. 

In addition, you made a comment to the effect that searches are never "fair." 

Truth, making this no exception to that rule.

Jan 18, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

3rd reply- 

You haven't justified your need to try to erode the abilities of the hires based on politics out of their control. "Would you apply for a job in this situation," isn't a valid reason. 

So yes, you are trolling members of the Archinect community at the same time.

Jan 18, 18 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

I also like Mark’s little scenification, but it would be factually wrong.  Eisgruber -who had exclusive authority to stand down AZP- would not have been talking to Ever-soiled. It is Mario Gandelsonas and Guy Nordenson who should appear in that scene (or actually in two separate scenes) rending their clothes about plagiarism by the dean and students being forced by him to plagiarize. Eisgruber fumes in his typical pompous, righteous mood and swears to make justice. (that scene can be repeated in different places in NY: Peter Eisenman’s and Harry Cobb’s offices, Cooper Union…) They go around separately on different locations in NY. There is another scene of Gandelsonas repeating the show to Prentice on campus. Stan Allen appears on two scenes, one advicing Eisgruber or Prentice (the script is unclear there and so is the content of the conversation, we will need to invent a bit) in Camp Stan in Upstate NY, talking to Mucksack -who was working for him that summer- about the process, and then sitting down to start this blog, after being interviewed by the investigation committee.  

On another set, Eisgruber meets Monica after she becomes the dean and tells her in kind of sincerely concerned classical PC blabber how concerned he is with the African American community at Princeton. Monica replies confidently that she will change that dramatically, seeing not only the chance to score some brownie points, but to get some more bodies to vote with her in the faculty room so he can control the place. Next scene, some months later, they meet again and Monica tells him very excitedly that she has managed to cajole the faculty to approve three African-American appointments in one go. Eisgruber sheepishly tells her, looking through the window, that, with hindsight, perhaps is better to go a bit slower with the appointments. Monica sighs.  

From The Pinnacles of Academic Idiocy.

Jan 19, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

Oops! Wrote too quickly. Mucksack sits down to start this blog, not Stan.

Jan 19, 18 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

... after going to talk to the investigation committee.

Jan 19, 18 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

So the link I posted above and here-

http://www.princeton.edu/repor...

demonstrates that the University was committed to diversity prior to these events AND the report was written at the time of appointment. Knowing how slow large committees move on campuses one cos say this was the causal result of an initiative that was established when Allen was the Dean. Secondly, based on conservative patterns demonstrated by Presidents at other equally well established American institutions, this report would not have been initiated by at that level, but was an act of support after there was a demonstrated need and concern in the community.  

NOW- with respect to the four people- which is still an egregious inaccuracy if you look at the faculty- more people than those 4 applied for this position. So bad mouth the entire search pool for stepping into these waters if you're going to try to discredit people based on (non)correlating events. 

AND- "Nothing further from my intentions, in fact I feel sorry for those who went through the process for nothing. For what I have googled now, these are all capable and effective faculty, well considered by their students and institutions. But I do not see how do they contribute as a group to the SoA. I do not see an academic intention there, other than “teaching people.” In bulk."

Reads as "Hey, don't mind me. They look ok. I wouldn't invite them to my party because they're commoners- but to each their own..."

That's still trolling.

Jan 19, 18 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Here's a speculation/question... What if AZP was seen as a diversity hire way back when...

Jan 19, 18 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

It clarifies a great deal- given that this commission created the report that serves as the foundation for targeted searches across the entire University. Otherwise this hypothetical piece of paper would not exist. In addition, I'd bet that the text in that piece of paper had a lot of boilerplate language in it that you can find in other initiatives across the campus- this isn't just an architecture issue (although I find the need to make it just about architecture interesting). 

I don't know anything about the search, but I do know that Princeton- given it's resources and established PhD program- would have received more than 4 applicants as you suggest. Stop trying to make the application pool and the short list the same number. In addition, you're backing of your claim they would hire number of 4 suggesting the applicant pool was just 4 (your argument remains thin and slippery). An application pool of 4 would almost certainly qualify as a failed search in the view of the Dean of Faculty and no hire.

Finally AZP as a diversity hire is totally relevant, because that would set a precedent for the "reckless PC (paraphrase)" behavior you so object to. So it would come back to you suggesting that's the type of minority hire you would support, but the other (insert slippery number here) are egregious.

Jan 20, 18 11:22 am  · 
 · 

You continue to demonstrate-

-A lack or unwillingness to understand the search process at the University level.

-A lack or unwillingness to understand the historic context for hiring practices in favor of superficial translations.

-A lack or unwillingness to understand how hires in the School of Architecture are effected by University wide initiatives.

-Consistent reporting regarding the actual hiring process.

Start posting content that can be supported and stop throwing shit at the fan. That was when this was a valuable thread.

Jan 20, 18 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Don't try to pawn off your claims on me. Initiatives are not exclusive searches. And I'm while I'm not familiar with the incentives at Princeton, I am familiar with one at another Ivy. 

Again- exclusive? no. So no "ah hah!" for you.

Final set of questions- exactly who are these 4 hires diversity hires? Stop being obtuse and name names from the faculty list.

Jan 20, 18 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

So 3 -not 4 were on a list- only 1 was hired. You're guessing at two more, one of which would not consider stepping down to accept an lower level position. 

Show me where in the description they said "African-Americans only." That needs to be in writing. Not a conversation, because we can all reference decades of preference against- as you did. 

For the sake of argument we could reference the current search, assuming the other names you mentioned are- I see nothing that says "African-Americans only."

The sea change you suggest is inaccurate.

Jan 20, 18 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Fuck bday. Marino all the way!
Jan 21, 18 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

*brady

Jan 21, 18 8:54 am  · 
 · 

I think you need to get the letter that proves this was a ”must.” The one you saw- there’s you smoking gun. I’m surprised it hasn’t popped up already. You have internal allies-clearly they could go to HR too.

As for me and “my experience”

It’s all annoying. The selective memories about targeted ‘international hires” 10-15 years ago. Or the need for programs to manipulate diversity goals to recruit international students, knowing full well the language is tied to recruiting and retaining nationally underrepresented people of color and women.  And let’s not forget that the targeted searches were geared towards hiring people “who look like the international  students we are recruiting-“ along with study tours and exhibitions. 

Only to be told that “I’ should be ashamed of applying for a job because it was ethnically targeted at me, and not someone else. I should be ashamed because the gaze and the fetish shifted in an unanticipated, and undesirable direction in at place where it’s unacceptable for that to happen- my perspective is not serious enough. Oh- and the assumption that I know some of them. Yep- from the annual meeting “we all’ have. 

Seriously, find a hard copy of that letter you claim you’ve seen and scuttle that search. And then scuttle any other search- including the one for “Asianists (history term)” if they are all from Asia.  

But don’t be patronizing and selective in what you deem as right and wrong if you don’t charge at all the windmills.

Jan 22, 18 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Yep

Jan 22, 18 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
landslide2016

Hey, what happened? Dinosaur got banned and erased by the moderators? We thought that this was an open forum. Some of us valued his opinions and the information in his posts. This thread contains comments that insult and threat with physical violence, others make anonymous accusations of plagiarism and even sex with interns. Those remain there and some of them even get featured. What was Dinosaur’s sin? Was it the revelations about the searches or the betting? And why remove all the comments and not just the offending ones. The thread makes no sense now, and there was a relevant discussion going on. Can we get an explanation for this? What is your ethics policy?

Jan 24, 18 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
This thread was short on facts, filled with a shit ton of racist bullshit, coupled with completely off topic commentary, that bordered on libel.

Dinosaur is fucking douchecanoe and its only contribution was make fucked up claims with zero proof. Fuck that cuck coward.
Jan 24, 18 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I had nothing to do with the cucker. I'm glad he's gone.
Jan 24, 18 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So it was no comet, global warming or volcanic eruptions that made dinosaurs go extinct, it was racism. Hope the polar bears are paying attention...

Jan 25, 18 7:50 am  · 
 · 
tigerstoo

That’s right, it was racism what terminated Dinosaur. A new strand of it grown out of sick political correctness that has led the moderators to perform the ultimate fascist act: the deployment of their power to entirely suppress and eliminate dissent. Or has it been a letter from Princeton? They haven’t justified, and why should they? They have that power.

What is left from the discussion gives a perfect account of the miserable quality of his contenders arguments, with the honorable exception of Marc.

I have no doubt that the facts that Dinosaur was researching and revealing are true, and that Princeton attempted a series of racially exclusive “opportunity” appointments in 2016-2017 at the SoA, from which I believe he gave a rather precise account.

Who knows, maybe Dinosaur had to be sacrificed to prompt the release of the evidence by the group of people who abhor the creeping of insane political correctness in universities. Will the release of a “smoking gun” merit the revival of Dinosaur, or rather the extinction of all of us?

Jan 25, 18 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It has nothing to do with political correctness but everything with being a racist by not wanting black professors getting hired and using their skin colour as the only reason to ban them. If you can't see that you're a racist too!

Jan 26, 18 3:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
A new strand of it grown out of sick political correctness that has led the moderators to perform the ultimate fascist act: the deployment of their power to entirely suppress and eliminate dissent.

Fucking snowflake.
Jan 25, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: