Archinect
anchor

Cont Ed credits - disability access requirements

job job

hello,

Since my last renewal, the CAB now requires "5 hours of coursework on disability access requirements". I thought the days of CE credits were behind me...

Do any sisters and brothers in CA have links to courses that are free and web-accessible?

many thanks!

Apr 5, 11 9:41 pm
job job

ho well back to the recorder lessons...

Apr 5, 11 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey job job - here are a few links to help you out. this has been discussed here as well as at areforum. i completed 5 hours of FREE online coursework and the cali architects board approved my renewal.

archinect: California - Online disabled access course - starts off as spam advertising from someone taking advantage of this ridiculous law to make their living. has a few good links but the areforum thread is better and to the point.

areforum: California Continuing Education ADA - this is the thread you want! lists FREE online courses and a bit more support from areforum members. note that the same guy (and his cronies) who spammed archinect gets in this thread, trying to take your money in these difficult times.

here is an alternate course not listed in the areforum thread: WBDG08 - principles and goals of accessible design. i took this one instead of the ron blank course. so that's a total of 6.25 possible FREE continuing education hours available.

i'm sure it takes longer and is a bit more tedious than paying for this continuing education but if you got no money then you got no money.

if you need any further help filling out your renewal application either bump this or the areforum thread and i should respond within a few hours to days.

i am passionate about not paying for this as the california legislature rammed this through unnecessarily (umm .. accessibility requirements are IN THE CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE?!?). Also, as you know, they raised the license renewal fee from $200 to $300 every two years; we don't need additional continuing ed expenses on top of that increase.

Apr 6, 11 11:12 am  · 
 · 
job job

FRaC, thanks for the links!
I love you, man

This new requirement crept up on me - agreed it's a strange rule, as all practitioners are already bound by ADA. Unless ramp design and emergency egress has gone through significant changes...
I believe it's a concession to the cottage industry that surrounds the AIA - ie if we don't legislate, we don't care. Next will be tsunami/earthquake credits.

Apr 6, 11 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

in the archinect thread i go into the main reason california legislators increased regulations on architects: a small number of wheelchair-bound people were making their living by shaking down businesses with frivolous ADA lawsuits.

of course, this excessive regulation will do nothing to stop that and only flushes more money down the government rat hole. sorry to get political but this is the kind of excessive regulation that fiscal conservatives rail against and liberals generally laud. do you lefties get it now?!?

Apr 6, 11 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

No doubt this is a stupid requirement, but before you make this a partisan issue, it's worth knowing that the California Chamber of Commerce supported this stupid legislation.

Apr 6, 11 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

the chamber of commerce is often on the wrong side of issues and this is one of them. i'm not sure about the cali c.o.c. but the los angeles chamber of commerce supports gov'ner brown's so-called 'extension' of tax increases. screw the chamber of commerce.

sorry to get off topic in this thread. it's just that this issue pisses me off to no end and i will help any architect, regardless of their partisan position, to complete this continuing education for free.

i'm also aware that a few other states have continuing education requirements and i wouldn't be totally opposed to that but getting enough california-approved ADA continuing ed can be difficult to do.

Apr 6, 11 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ADAwebstudy

ADAwebstudy.com will like to say a big "THANK YOU" to Archinect for referring a lot of architects to our website.

May 20, 11 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

architectors: ADAwebstudy.com charges for their continuing ed credits - see my post above for free online courses

May 20, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Architectspecifier

5 hour seminar by CE Academy for California requirements. Held across the country and inexpensive. Great instructors kept it pretty interesting.

http://greence.com/live_courses.htm

Aug 1, 11 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
AIAEDU

www.aecdaily.com has a huge selection of free courses

Dec 20, 13 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Do the AEC daily courses count towards HSW requirements for AIA?  Are there a limit to the number I do online vs face to face classes or can all 12 hours be via AEC?

Thanks

Sep 8, 14 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: