Archinect
anchor

the giant braced frame in wyly theater by REX

cmrhm

It looks the giant braced frame on the corner is done by reinforced conc. column. Holly molly. Shouldn't BF should be done by steel in most cases? Anyone know why?

Mar 25, 11 10:00 am
cmrhm

The 132-foot-tall tower rests on six perimeter concrete supercolumns, four of which incline dramatically, and a perimeter concrete shear wall. A belt truss, from levels 4 through 7, augmented by a series of smaller interior trusses, completes the building’s “composite global frame.” Many of the elements in this unconventional system perform dual duty. For example, the raked columns act as belt-truss webs. The result is a ground- floor performance space with no interior columns, 44-foot-deep corner cantilevers, and little perimeter structure, allowing the blurring of audience and stage, inside and out. Above the theater, programmatic elements are stacked like interlocking puzzle pieces. Only one floor, level 7, is continuous.

Mar 25, 11 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It's called reinforced concrete. There's tons of steel in there. It was done for aesthetic reasons.

One day when you grow up, it will make more sense to you :)

Mar 25, 11 10:55 am  · 
 · 
syp

Actually, that is called "SRC" (Steel Reinforced Concrete) which is stronger than "RC"(Reinforced concrete).
Its main structure is still a H-section steel column inside of the concrete skin.

If that column is a reinforced concrete(RC) structure, the connection between the column and the steel truss would be really messy.

Mar 25, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

are you sure about that syp?

Mar 25, 11 11:33 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

syp: they still use H section steel column? That is what I thought. Otherwise, use steel bars to resist the load is very inefficient.

I think the idea to use conc. cover is more related to fire safety concern instead of the aesthetic pointed out by rusty, what do you think?

rusty: why you change your id?

Mar 25, 11 11:36 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

That is great, rusty. where do you get it? Do you have connection between column with the floor slab( metal deck, I assume?)

Mar 25, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

go to rex website. they have a whole bunch of construction photos.

Very ugly building if you aks me. Interior is very playful though.

Mar 25, 11 11:43 am  · 
 · 
syp

"are you sure about that syp?"

Oops! Sorry!

But, it still looks structually totally strange...
I also like to look at the connection between the RC column and the huge steel truss and the Metal deck.

Mar 25, 11 11:47 am  · 
 · 
ashikurrahman“mr.”ratul

Dear Concern,

I hope you are doing well. I was wondering if I could get a 3D model of the structural skeleton of Wyly Theatre (Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre). I am doing a structural research project on this building. If you can help me, that would be very helpful for me. I would greatly appreciate any additional design diagrams or documents. Thank You

Best,

Ashikur Rahman Ratul

Jan 25, 24 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: