Archinect
anchor

R&Sie cancels exhibition and lecture at SCI Arc

job job
http://www.new-territories.com/sci%20arc%20cancel.htm

A fit of pique, or an act of heroism? Bit of both?

Mar 25, 11 1:01 am
Rusty!

Damn.

You let the French drop a few bombs on Africa, and next thing you have is Roche's testicles in your cereal bowl.

Maybe Frankie misplaced his green crayons?

In any case. It's not a tantrum. He said so himself in "Shakespearean mayonnaise".

Any arrogant, ignorant Sci-Arc staffer want to add to this story?

Mar 25, 11 1:35 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields
"Architecture is mainly an affair of resistance and self-defense."

I just rolled my eyes so hard I gave myself vertigo and then vomited.

Mar 25, 11 2:07 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

reading that was almost as annoying as their website...

Mar 25, 11 3:18 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberry."

"is there someone else we could talk to?"

Mar 25, 11 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Frit

Sci-Arc clearly dodged a bullet with this guy. That lecture would have been unintelligible anyway.

Mar 25, 11 11:10 am  · 
 · 

He's taking his cues from Odd Future.

Mar 25, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 

it's at least as readable as the published writings.

Mar 25, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 

What?! Sci-arc students have a pool? Really? My school didn't even have a student lounge unless you count the vending machine.

Mar 25, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

I imagine that this is really about SCI-Arc not wanting to pay for his poodle to fly first class.

Mar 25, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

I still don't understand it... which is the reason they cancelled the lecture?

Is Sci-Arc mixed with Gaddafi as well? (remember, his son bought his PhD at the London School of Economics).

Mar 25, 11 11:58 am  · 
 · 
job job

I misread the environment - it's a rochattack!. I like the work of R&Sie, and barbed letters like these are sometimes necessary, in the same spirit of Voltaire.

You may remember his criticisms of the French architectural scene: http://www.new-territories.com/vous%20avez%20dit.htm
http://www.new-territories.com/pav%20Suisse.htm

Mar 25, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

That film school sci-arc is got to be feeling overly traditional and out of touch...
Go Roche.

Mar 25, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
syp

"Our works and attitudes are toxic, animal, dangerous, regressive, politic and computational."

What a nonsense of series of adjectives!!!

How can something or some one be toxic, animal, dangerous and at the same time regressive, politic and computational?

Aren't the characters, regressive, politic and computational, only applied to human being but not to animal?
I would like to see any animal that is regressive, politic and computational.

Mar 25, 11 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

It's a Google Translate™ manifesto.

Mar 25, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"It's a Google Translate™ manifesto."

WIN!

Mar 25, 11 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

all good, he would have just tried to hypnotize them.

Mar 26, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

"Our works and attitudes are toxic, animal, dangerous, regressive, politic and computational."

lol i did giggle.
and i think i have a brain tumor now.

Mar 27, 11 9:36 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I understood that letter about as much as I understood him in my review two years ago-which means I still have no clue.

Mar 27, 11 10:49 am  · 
 · 
aml

note the only words in french are misspelled.

Mar 27, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
job job

do architects have to be good writers to polemicize their work?

are we seeing a trend of practitioners with phd's? I can think of a few, but they are singular, and not a model - I don't even think they are both at the same time.

Mar 27, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It does seem that an increasing fraction of the increasingly small fraction of the profession that pursues "architecture as art" are now starting to carry doctoral credentials after their names. But with the so-called crisis in architectural theory rendering complicated polemics about form increasingly irrelevant, I wonder to what end?

Mar 27, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
syp

"do architects have to be good writers to polemicize their work?"

I agree with you. Architects don't need to be a good writer.

However, I don't think he is a practitioner either.
Moreover, if he is a theorist. the more critical issue here is not about being a good writer but about how well he is understanding the contemporary as a theorist.

Unlike many people's prejudice, contemporary philosophies are really rigor and consistent. Only the reason that people think contemporary philosophies are "capricious" is because they don't have comprehensive understanding about that.

The reason I brought the issue about "non-sense of series of adjectives" is to show how superficial his understanding about contemporary philosophies is.

Mar 27, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
syp

I think some architect's being theoretical is good for the whole architecture to achieve professional depths.

But, if they are going to insist on being a theorist they have to be good enough at theory and philosophy and need to stop being pretentious.

Mar 27, 11 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

i think it's possible to take a theoretical position through design. roche has done enough interesting, coherent-enough design proposals that i'm almost willing to forgive his gobbledygook, even though it drives me nuts.

it seems to me that this 'dispute' is just another academic provocation, though...

Mar 27, 11 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I'm sure it just has something to do with insurance.

Mar 27, 11 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
blah

What passes for "theory" in Architecture is really just ideology.

Please don't confuse the two. :-)

Mar 28, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Desalienate ? Maybe that has something to do with the pool . . .

Mar 28, 11 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

I'm only here for the mayonnaise.

Didn't this dude lecture at sci-arc... maybe 5-6 years ago? I distinctly remember some skinny french dude dressed in black who was lecturing/presenting all this maya/blob stuff. Seemed to fit right in with what was going on at sci-arc. Hernan did the intro... I think. Whatever, he didn't seem like that much of a bad-ass at the time.

Anyway, it's good controversy (even if it's not clear just what the hell is being controverted), no doubt both sci-arc and r&sie could use the publicity.

Fuck it, instead of a lecture, they should have a debate! R&Sie dude plus a couple of his homies vs. .... well E.O.M. (of course) and... i dunno Juan Azulay? and Ed Keller? (I have no idea if they'd agree or disagree because I still don't have a clue what R&Sie's beef is... maybe they'd all agree on everything and then hug and kiss).

Priority 1: somebody decipher that letter!

Mar 30, 11 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

here: +33(0)142060669
somebody who speaks french (and archi-babble) call that dude and get the story. report back!

Mar 30, 11 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

they call me "thread-killer"...
No, really. How did this excellent thread peter out?
Speaking of peter, here's some more food for thought (fuel for the fire) from Sir P.Cook himself: http://thefunambulist.net/2011/03/24/politics-francois-roche-cancels-at-sci-arc-manifesto-for-speculative-laboratories/#comment-378

Apr 15, 11 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
metal

something else is going on, Roche posts that letter then walk down the street to teach at USC, which some would say is a wannabe sci-arc. i wouldnt route for him.

Apr 15, 11 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
job job

Mission St,Thanks for that link - Peter Cook has always been refreshing for his frank assessments. To one particularly nasty juror (KR). 'You've fucked up this review, so why don't you fuck off"

Apr 15, 11 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

5.5 years later. That link to the Peter Cook comment seems broken somehow.

snapshot: https://web.archive.org/web/20150318062946/http://thefunambulist.net/2011/03/24/politics-francois-roche-cancels-at-sci-arc-manifesto-for-speculative-laboratories/

Sep 30, 16 3:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: