Archinect
anchor

Book advice - architectural theory for high school student?

KaylaF

Hello forum.  Can anyone recommend an introduction to architectural theory book that isn't too heavy or onerous as I'm looking for it for a 15 year old?  She's expressed an interest in architectural theory from how I've talked about it, but most of my books are pretty dry and picture-light which I'm afraid would be more of a turn off than a turn on.  Thanks for your help!

Jul 28, 14 12:13 pm
jdparnell1218

Form, Space, and Order by D.K. Ching

That book is a standard for most intro to design classes across the country.

Jul 29, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ To add, I've also found "Analysing Architecture" by Simon Unwin to be a great complimentary book to Ching's F/S/O. It covers many of the same themes but in a different way.

Jul 29, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mfvoll

I second Analysing Architecture. It's simplicity makes it one of my favorite books on architecture. Very good for beginners (and great to read again after a few years of experience with a different perspective.

Jul 29, 14 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

I received Form, Space, Order for Christmas when I was about 13.  I loved it.

Jul 29, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

For An Architecture of Reality by Michael Benedikt.  It's a short, very accessible read that talks about how we respond physically to materials and spaces.  Very lovely and poetic, though the black and white images are not high-quality reproduction. 

Jul 29, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I second Donna's recommendation, that was freshman year required reading and have read it at least 10 times since, its a good primer and reset button.

Jul 29, 14 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
KaylaF

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jul 30, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
KaylaF

I think the Unwin or Ching look best for her.... I'll see if I can find some copies to look at as opposed to the screen preview... or mabye I just need to have them for my library! ;)

Jul 30, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Theory and Design in the First Machine Age by Reynar Banham. We read this in Grad School.
Jul 31, 14 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Personally, I really like Thermal Delight in Architecture, by Lisa Heschong.

Jul 31, 14 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: