Archinect
anchor

Book advice - architectural theory for high school student?

Jul 28 '14 11 Last Comment
KaylaF
Jul 28, 14 12:13 pm

Hello forum.  Can anyone recommend an introduction to architectural theory book that isn't too heavy or onerous as I'm looking for it for a 15 year old?  She's expressed an interest in architectural theory from how I've talked about it, but most of my books are pretty dry and picture-light which I'm afraid would be more of a turn off than a turn on.  Thanks for your help!

jdparnell1218
Jul 29, 14 12:35 pm

Form, Space, and Order by D.K. Ching

That book is a standard for most intro to design classes across the country.

BenC
Jul 29, 14 1:31 pm

^ ^ To add, I've also found "Analysing Architecture" by Simon Unwin to be a great complimentary book to Ching's F/S/O. It covers many of the same themes but in a different way.

mfvoll
Jul 29, 14 2:40 pm

I second Analysing Architecture. It's simplicity makes it one of my favorite books on architecture. Very good for beginners (and great to read again after a few years of experience with a different perspective.

bklyntotfc
Jul 29, 14 2:47 pm

I received Form, Space, Order for Christmas when I was about 13.  I loved it.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Jul 29, 14 3:40 pm

For An Architecture of Reality by Michael Benedikt.  It's a short, very accessible read that talks about how we respond physically to materials and spaces.  Very lovely and poetic, though the black and white images are not high-quality reproduction. 

Chris TeeterChris Teeter
Jul 29, 14 8:36 pm

I second Donna's recommendation, that was freshman year required reading and have read it at least 10 times since, its a good primer and reset button.

KaylaF
Jul 30, 14 10:07 am

Thanks for all the feedback!

KaylaF
Jul 30, 14 10:19 am

I think the Unwin or Ching look best for her.... I'll see if I can find some copies to look at as opposed to the screen preview... or mabye I just need to have them for my library! ;)

Abraham MelendezAbraham Melendez
Jul 31, 14 9:25 pm

Theory and Design in the First Machine Age by Reynar Banham. We read this in Grad School.

jw468
Jul 31, 14 10:31 pm

Personally, I really like Thermal Delight in Architecture, by Lisa Heschong.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading