Archinect
anchor

A Couple Question on Historic Preservaton Education

anatypicalaffair

Hello Fellow Archinecters!

I am currently getting my B.S.ARCH, and I have a couple questions regarding graduate studies. I am interested in the field of historic preservation, and so that is what my questions are about.

First, I was wondering if it is a better idea to get both a M.ARCH and a masters in historic preservation, or if that would be overkill? I want to rehabilitate historic buildings, but have little desire to design my own structures. Yet, if it is a wiser career move to get a dual degree to be extra prepared?

Second, where (and it doesn't have to be a specific school, a general region would work as well) in the world is the best place to study historic preservation? Where will I get the absolute best education? I am not as concerned with "brand identity" but if an ivy is the best place I would like to know.

Thanks so much in advance for your input, and I look forward to reciprocating in the future.

Jul 26, 14 8:19 pm
KaylaF

If I'm not mistaken, some schools offer a certificate or possibly even a dual degree option for preservation conservation?  I'm afraid US schools aren't exactly my specialty anymore, but I'd suggest looking at schools that have both, then seeing if you can do the two degrees simultaneously (or a certificate and a degree simultaneously).  There are benefits to being an architect if you want to work in buildings in general, you just need to specialize.

The only school I'm immediately aware of that offers something like that is the University of Virginia where I did my Bachelors.  The best way to find out what schools are 'best viewed' would be to contact some preservation firms or individuals whose work you respect and see if they can offer you up an opinion!

Good luck.

Jul 28, 14 7:18 am  · 
 · 

I have heard good things about the Master of Preservation Studies (MPS) program at the Tulane School of Architecture . If i remember correctly one (or two) people i know graduated from there.

Jul 29, 14 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: