Archinect
anchor

A mere $1.575 billion for sports stadia - Las Vegas Style

BOTS

I understand that if one group of deep-pocketed investors has its way, downtown Las Vegas (where interstates 15 and 95 meet) will soon be home to three shiny new stadiums that could accommodate sports ranging from baseball to basketball to hockey.

full pdf proposal

I get the city of ‘entertainment’ but I believe Las Vegas doesn't have any professional sports teams? So who will go here?

Rumor is that the main team tenant will be football – the European variety (soccer), is this viable?

Mar 1, 11 4:37 am
vado retro

cities often build stadiums to lure teams from other cities.

Mar 1, 11 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

If you build it, they wil come - or something like that.

Mar 1, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

more ufo designs....

Mar 1, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

not ufos. bed pans.

Mar 1, 11 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

i've loved bed pans ever since lieutenant dan used one to dispose of an ice cream cone forest brought him from the mess hall. i think they are hott and sexxy, especially in shiny stainless steel. an appropriate form for a decadent city...

Mar 2, 11 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields
FA (Venues) : Goldman Sachs & Co. (District Bonds, Commercial Construction)

FA (Franchises) : Morgan Stanley Inc. (Buy-Side Advisory, Equity, League Finance Facilities)

... Sounding like a bad idea.

RELOCATION OF SWENSON
The relocation of Swenson would be a major undertaking. It is not just a surface street, it is a primary artery into and out of the terminals at McCarran. To relocate it, much less put it in an underground tunnel, would entail costs that only a public body could carry.

... Woah. This is getting worse.

None of the retail development exists today. Therefore, all of the increment would be fully prospective. In today's financial environment, the coverage ratio on the bonds would need to be approximately 2.5x. Therefore, the total sales tax that would be required from the retail development is in the range of $139 million per year.

Okay, this project is approaching 'worst.'

A new district could be formed by the legislature and this appears to be UNLV Now’s objective. In this case all the incremental sales, use and ad valorem tax could be captured and recycled into the stadium. There are a number of very important differences between the projects in this regard.

At LVNSC the venues are privately owned and financed, with taxes generated only by the venues recycled into defraying some of the costs of construction of the venues. The tax rebates act as an incentive to activate substantial private capital. This is possible because ownership of the professional franchises and venues are consolidated, and the venues are for-profit investments that are being constructed to house professional sports for the Las Vegas market.

Officially a terrible idea.

Mar 2, 11 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
kamiljan

Must seehttp://bluesky2012.dreamypicturefantasy.me/0248bc46263373

Jul 2, 16 12:04 am  · 
 · 
kamiljan

http://bluesky2012.dreamypicturefantasy.me/0248bc46263373

must see

Jul 2, 16 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

how about we stop using public funds to finance stadiums for billionaires and organizations (the NFL) with over 7 billion in annual collective revenue?  

Jul 2, 16 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Vegas was just awarded an NHL expansion team, no? I also understand that the arena will be behind NY,NY. 

Jul 2, 16 12:35 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

what a waste.. how about getting creative so building one stadium that could be used for all three sports?

Jul 2, 16 1:11 am  · 
 · 
no_form
How about investing that money into water reclamation/conservation, renewable energy production, and schools? Oh yeah, lol. No one cares about that in America. Trump 2016!
Jul 2, 16 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Good Grief, a hockey stadium in the desert.    

Jul 2, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Expansion should have been to Quebec City.

Jul 2, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

^ In principle yes, but league rules chops Canadian franchises off at the knees. It would be a hard go. So I nstead we get people who want to follow their team to Vegas for the weekend along with some gambling "on the side."

With respect to universal stadia, that was a thing in the 70's. Nobody was ever happy with the compromises they had to make with sight lines and seating. And the indoor stadiums line the former Vikings stadium and the Carrier dome are nightmares.

Jul 2, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: