Archinect
anchor

Occupant Load Hotel or Hostel?

wurdan freo

Any insight on how the occupant load for a hotel room is calculated? IBC 2012=200 sf gross for residential, but it seems more along the lines of 50sf gross for dormitory. Especially when you consider a hostel layout. Do you base the calculation on a single room, all rooms or ??? Muchas gracias in advance!!!

Jul 22, 14 7:47 pm
accesskb

Don't forget most rooms are tiny and have two bunkbeds separated by a meter of wiggle room xD

Jul 23, 14 4:32 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

It is going to be based upon the final intended us - if you expect bunk beds you should use a LF of 50, if it is hotel style rooms (independent beds, dresser, desk etc) 200 is appropriate. 

Jul 23, 14 10:55 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Thank you Janosh

Jul 23, 14 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
+1Janosh
Jul 24, 14 9:04 am  · 
 · 
gruen
You can also raise the load if you feel the actual load may be higher. Example: small hotel room 250 sf with beds for 4
Jul 24, 14 9:07 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Similar to the above question, but would a hostel be considered R1 or R2?  I would think R1 as the occupants are fairly transient in nature, but i think a case could be made foe either.  

I also dont think the project can support a 1 to 1 restroom ratio as reqd by the plumbing code for R1 uses.

Jun 9, 20 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: