Archinect
anchor

Based on what I am interested in doing, would a career in architecture or interior design work better for me?

SoccerKitty

Hello,

I have only fairly recently figured out what I am really interested in doing for a career. However, I now need to figure which education field is necessary.

I have quite an interest in the design of remodeling homes. For instance, I recently went into this townhome for sale which, with both the interior and exterior looking severely outdated, I enjoyed imagining the remodeling of it, replacing the kitchen counters with granite countertops, replacing the carpet with a new one, painting the exterior as I examined it, etc. [despite the fact of my limited knowledge] I am not interested in doing the actual work to change them, just designing the conversion.

I am mostly fascinated by the design [both interior and exterior] but more so with the floor plans of apartments. I would love to learn more about different apartment designs!

My most favorite and anticipated hobby of mine is designing the conversion of an existing building into individual apartment units. If I could use the existing floorplan of the building and design part of the conversion that way I would. I love taking an existing building I see for example, look at it from the outside [and inside if I could], as well as viewing it on Google Maps, and basically determine how much space there is for everything and where everything would go [kitchen, family room, bathroom, leasing office, fire alarms, stairwell-everything there is to the conversion process!]. I do this most often with a building I pass when outside almost everyday, as I even imagine that there are porches added to the first floor!

In considering what I am interested in doing, would you say the study of interior design or architecture is the optimal option for me? Or maybe there is something else I could pursue?

Thank you for your answer

Jul 18, 14 6:37 pm
gruen
Architecture. Architects do interiors too.
Jul 18, 14 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: