Archinect
anchor

U of Toronto or Ryerson for undergraduate and graduate program?

Robbie.T

I applied to uoft and ryerson for architecture but im not sure which program is better. u of t has a much beter reputation but as i researched im getting answers that lean on ryerson rather than u of t. ryersons entire program is 6 years and u of t's program is 7.5. which one is more recognized because i heard ryerson is not accredited. thanks

Feb 5, 11 9:25 pm
Rusty!

As of last year Ryarson's 3 year Masters in Architecture is an accredited degree. I think you need to do a lot more homework on this before making a decision.

UofT probably carries more name recognition. Ryerson's program is relatively young. Old classmate of mine teaches there. Other than that I heard lots of good and bad things about both programs. You should arrange for a tour of each facility.

7.5 years does sound ridiculous especially for a degree that will pay you around 35k once you graduate.

Feb 5, 11 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Université de Montréal -> qualifies for licensure in Canada and France -> EU work visa -> work anywhere in Europe

Feb 5, 11 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Université de Montréal -> classes in French only -> do not pass go -> do not collect $200

boeuf!

Feb 5, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I thought all Canadians required by their Commonwealth status required them to speak french, defend against flat tail attacks and made felt hats from bits of twigs.

Feb 5, 11 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

U of T's undergrad program isn't a true "studio" architecture degree, its a B.A. in architectural studies. Sounds similar but they are not at all, as theirs is not a pre-professional architecture degree. Seems like Ryerson is the better choice to me. Also I wouldn't be so sure about the 3-year M.Arch at Ryerson, pretty sure its a 2-year.

Feb 5, 11 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Also I wouldn't be so sure about the 3-year M.Arch at Ryerson, pretty sure its a 2-year."

You're right. my bad. 3 years is how long the accreditation is valid for. So get your now while supplies last!

Both of these programs were in shambles 10 years ago. It almost makes sense for a city like Toronto not to have a good arch school. Now it has an excuse for being so fugly.

Feb 5, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

U of T's program is kind of tricky to get into. You must enter 1st year as a general arts student. After completing your first year you need to apply for the Architectural Design Studies major for which there are roughly 50-60 spots (with 200-300 students also applying). It is solely based on first year GPA with no portfolio requirement. I barely made it into the program following first year but the experience has been amazing. Most of the professors are Harvard trained and there is a huge emphasis on theory, which I love, however this may not be for everyone. You will also have to do a Masters following undergrad at U of T if you want to be an architect because it is NOT a B. Arch program. You need to consider all your options and remember that if you choose U of T and do not get accepted into the Architecture major you must choose another major such as Urban Studies, Visual Studies, or Fine Arts.

Feb 5, 11 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Torontois devraient entasser baguettes géantes dans leurs vagins anglophone. Et aussi, Ryerson mangera dix mille bites de castor.

Que Dieu protège la Reine!

Feb 6, 11 12:12 am  · 
 · 
bRink

undegrad at u of t is basically a BA... with architecture as your major... this means it is not an accreditted degree but i am pretty sure if you did that, you would get advanced standing for the m. arch professional degree meaning that your m.arch is shorter than if you didn't have architecture background... essentially you probably have some courses from undergrad like history and seminars which count as credit towards your masters, so (assuming you got into the masters) you might not have to take certain classes again...

but the way i see it, why do a BA in architecture followed by a masters in architecture when you could just as well do a different undergraduate major and follow up with the same masters in architecture? why don't you do engineering or fine arts or business as your undergraduate major and then do an M. Arch...? (you can apply to 3.5 year m.archs from any 4 year degree program)

Feb 6, 11 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

mmmmm bites de castor.

Feb 6, 11 12:29 am  · 
 · 
420g

stay away from UofT undergrad if its not engineering or commerce then whatever it is, its NOT ACCREDITED.

the BA in architectural studies is not recognized as a "pre-professional degree in architecture" meaning there are few M.arch programs in Canada that would even consider you. Only UofT, Carleton, and UBC have 3years+ M.arch programs open to BA's in jellybeans. When a Ryerson undergrad gets into the UofT M.arch they get 1 year advanced standing. UofT explicitly states that UofT undergrads should NOT apply for the advanced standing option.

More doors open in Canada with Ryerson architecture undergrad.

BTW i completed the BA in architectural studies at UofT, take it from me there is no building science in UofT architecture undergrad

Apr 25, 16 6:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: