Archinect
anchor

Seeking structural engineer in the LA / Pomona area

We are the students that are working on a community garden project in Ontario. We need a licensed engineer to sign off on designs and consult us with regards to designs of several buildings. Our budget is limited; we are a 4-person volunteer team investing our time for free. We are willing to compensate you out of pocket however.

We have a master plan that was submitted to the city a couple weeks ago. The site is an R1 (or R2) zone. The land is leased from the city of Ontario by the Pitzer college on a 10-year lease.

The master plan can be downloaded here: http://huertaontario.tk/_documents/siteplan%20iteration%203/Masterplan%20Iteration%203.pdf

And more information is also available on our website at: http://huertaontario.tk

The primary buildings will be the library, mechanical + kitchen, and a pavilion. For the main structures we plan on using shipping containers, which are prohibited in Ontario as habitable structures. For the pavilion, we plan on making an earth-recessed seating and stage area that is much like a Roman amphitheater. We plan on having a tensile-textile shade sail structure shading this area as well as the adjacent areas.

Finally the actual work will consist of consulting us on the design of the shipping container space as well as the tensile shade sail.

Please email us for more details.

[email protected]

Jul 17, 14 1:10 am
gruen

uh...if the project is in Ontario, you should get an engineer in Ontario. 

Jul 17, 14 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

uh, pretty sure ontario references the city in California with the same name.

Jul 17, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ontario, Cali? That's a relief, I was worried this was going to go up in my Province of Ontario.

besides, what's the point of using shipping containers if you're cutting away everything? Might as well just glue corrugated sheet metal on a wood-stud box.

Jul 17, 14 10:38 am  · 
 · 
gruen

oops. my bad. 

Jul 17, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

it's ok. I think most think Canada, but I had the privilege of fueling up in Ontario, California once and it made an impact on me, so I made the leap.

You realize both are abbr. as Ontario, CA too? Tricky.

Jul 17, 14 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Yes, I meant Ontario, California -- not Canada. In response to Non Sequitur, it's because of adaptive reuse. There's a lot of shipping containers out there are you can get them for free in this area. Plus a steel frame is nice and it is painless when you stack two of these on top of each other.

Jul 18, 14 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

So there weren't any replies very surprisingly (sarcasm). Any ideas where I can find an engineer that could take a project like this? Additionally, what do you think an appropriate compensation would be in terms of a number? Is 2k appropriate?

Jul 19, 14 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What type and age of students are you? 

Jul 20, 14 8:52 am  · 
 · 

20 and an Architecture student at Cal Poly Pomona. Are you an engineer?

Jul 20, 14 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

No, sorry. 

Jul 21, 14 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: