Archinect
anchor

Online M.Arch at BAC vs AAU vs LTU

wizardofozz

I'm 38 and my youngest child is about to start kindergarten, freeing me up to pursue my dream of architecture.  I realize that being an architect is not the glamours career it appears to be, however, I'm in a unique situation where I don't have to earn a living.  Of course, I'm also in a unique position of not being anywhere near a university that teaches architecture nor do I have the ability to move and uproot my family (my husband brings home the "bacon" and he isn't able to relocate).  

So, my best option appears to be a 3-year online M.Arch program for students who have a bachelors degree in a non-architecture field.   From what I can tell, my choices are:

Boston Architecture College

Academy of Art University

Lawrence Technological University 

Southern Illinois University (this one is only for those who have a bachelors in architecture, and therefore not relevant for me).

Am I missing any?  I'd love to hear from people who have either graduated from the above programs or hired their graduates.  My main goal here isn't the "quickest path to a m.arch", but rather a very solid and deep understanding of architecture (I'm particularly interested in sustainable design).  I'd like to be extremely competent yet creative and innovative.  I'm sure a lot of this comes from within and with a great deal of experience, but I'd like the start with the best university and a broad range of courses from which to choose.  

Which of these universities is going to give me the best education?

Can someone also expand on how these programs differ in their delivery of course content?  Is one live video while another uses taped lectures (that might be out of date)?  Is one method for effective than the other?  Pro's vs cons?  Is it difficult to hear/understand your professors/classmates in this format?  

Thanks...

Jul 12, 14 11:23 pm

Hello, you are not missing any schools. I have done extensive research on the subject. I just enrolled at LTU, after much thinking and researching the 4 schools, and I chose this one because of the price. They are all accredited and they all have similar programs, but LTU was also closer to where I live, so the drive was only 6 hours, only four non consecutive weekends. In addition, I'd rather owe 25K than 75K when I'm done.

Check this forum I posted several weeks ago: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/98665928/online-march

There are several people with negative comments, but don't pay attention to that. Focus on the  positive aspects; you can work, be with your family, and still do school work on your own time. I would do it again. Plus, you can finish all 5 semesters at LTU in 1.5 years, because they have 3 semesters per year, counting Summer.

Hope this helps you.

M Juliana L.

Jul 16, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Check my spreadsheet: 

http://archinect.com/forum/gallery/98665928/0/online-march#

Jul 16, 14 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Danngz87

did you decide? Where are you going?

Feb 1, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Dannsz87, 

Yes I did decide to go to LTU. Actually I am almost done with the program. I took the classes according to my professional schedule, and I am finally happy to say I will graduate this summer. Hope this helps, if you need more info, shoot me a personal email. 

Have a nice day. 

M Juliana

Feb 2, 16 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: