Archinect
anchor

Singapore - Internship?

Wannabe1988

Hello hi, I am a third year student from Edinburgh University and is about to be away for a year out placement. As I am about to start working as an intern in SIngapore for about 5 months, I have been offered S$800 salary ($620 USD) per month and I wonder if that is a typical range given to intern? I have worked before in an architectural firm if that matters but as a visualiser - making digital 3d model and visualisations, for about 2-3 months.

According to my potential employer, they would soon have a new project going on in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and so, I am required to travel frequently between these two countries (Malaysia and Singapore are neighbouring countries and the airfare cost to travel between them usually cost around (S$42 or $43 USD).

So, is the S$800 an appropriate range or should I expect more since I am required to travel and there is no transport allowance. Would really appreciate any help that anyone could offer, thank you.

Jan 21, 11 4:15 am
BE

Nope. Too little. To my knowledge you won't survive in this place with $800, inclusive of food, shelter, transportation and flights. No way. Unless you are prepared to feed on only salty carbo and tap water, don't take this job. Interns go for at least twice that in the market here.

Jan 21, 11 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

Dear BE, Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. My employer stated that for a duration of my internship, I would be posted at Kuala Lumpur, where my accommodation and food are taken care of since I have family here.

Just out of curiosity, have you worked in Singapore before and if yes, how much did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Jan 21, 11 10:13 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

I couldn't help but notice your post, having just returned to the US after working in Singapore for the past year.

I recommend you make sure that you have a clear understanding with the employer on what costs they will and will not cover (lodging, transportation, meals, medical). In my opinion, if the office is based in Singapore, then they should cover all of your travel and lodging costs in KL since it is work-related. I have never heard of a company that makes its employees pay their own travel costs. However, since it is an internship perhaps they expect you to cover much of the costs yourself in exchange for the experience.

It is true that S$800 is not much to survive on. I reckon you'd need at least about S$1000 to break even living very frugally. Expect to pay around S$400-800 for a modest room in a shared flat outside of the central area. You could probably find a cheaper deal if you are willing to share a room with someone. Food is cheap (S$3-5 at a hawker centre) and delicious, but cigarettes and alcohol are very expensive.

Also, it is not uncommon to see people working on weekends and staying all night at many firms. Hopefully, the firm you work at values the health of their employees and does not expect that kind of effort....but be warned. Don't let them push you around too unreasonably.

Unless you have other, more promising offers, I would go for it if you can make the finances work. It's only a temporary job, so there is not much of a commitment. If you love it, then you probably stand a decent chance to get hired there after graduation. If you hate it, then you know not to work at that kind of firm after school. Regardless, you will have gained some experience, made some decent contacts, and got the opportunity of living and working in a new place.

Just my thoughts though. Do what's best for you :)

Jan 24, 11 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wannabe1988

Dear Jason, thank you so much for your advices and insights. They helped me to moderate my soon-to-start working experience in the firm as this is my first year out for a proper placement in a office. After contacting my employer on the cost coverage, they have agreed to covered my transportation cost to and from between the countries. They also said that they would raised my salary once two more projects which are currently under discussion, are approved. I do not worry so much about lodging and meals as I have a family in Malaysia and currently staying over at my gf's place in Singapore.

Anyway, how do you feel about working in Singapore after some period of time? Do you enjoy working there? do you mind if I ask which firm did you work in and also the rough salary that you have received, just so that I may grasp a rough estimate of salary expectation for intern in Singapore.

Side track the post, do you recommend any interesting architecture to see in Singapore, something along the line of Kenzo Tange works in Hwa Choong institution?

Thank you once again for your help. I really appreciate the your help so far!

Jan 26, 11 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
BE

Architect's starting salary in Singapore typically runs from 2500 SGD-3000 SGD. I think interns's is about $1,500 SGD a month, with all office related transportation costs covered.

If you are staying in KL, and if they are paying you $800 SGD, and if your accommodation is presumably free with family, then I think it is a great gig. Just enjoy the experience and you will do fine.

Jan 26, 11 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Wannabe, I think it's important to make sure that you have enough money to survive on in Singapore, but salary should not be something to dwell on too much. I think the experience is more valuable than pay at this stage in your career.

It is difficult to compare my experience with yours, as I have six years working experience as a landscape architect. However, if you are curious, you can likely expect more pay at foreign companies with satellite offices in Singapore (ie. Aedas, HOK). Local offices can probably not afford to pay as much. I worked at AECOM, and was paid quite well by Singapore standards--enough to live very comfortably. This can be a mixed blessing though. My first day on the job, the boss told me, "we are paying you a lot of money, so we expect you to perform." I can honestly say that I have never worked so hard in my life, nor felt that much pressure before.

I have no regrets about my time in Singapore because I loved living there and made some great friends. I liked that my job gave me a lot more responsibility than I had working in the States and many travel opportunities. In the end though, I chose to leave because the projects and design approach were not aligned with my interests.

Get some experience and learn as much as you can from wherever you work, but in time seek out work that you feel passionate about. If you stay at a firm where you are not learning anything and do not care about the projects, then you will be unhappy no matter how much they pay you.

Jan 28, 11 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

As far as architecture in Singapore goes...

Personally, I think Singapore is far more interesting from a urban design/planning standpoint than for contemporary architecture. You won't find as many early modernist structures as you see in the west, nor the the same kind of proliferation of bold designs you see going up in China and the UAE now. Expect to see a lot more "greening" of architecture in Singapore (think Ken Yeang).

If you like Tange, then check out the OUB and UOB centres (I think he designed these) which are some of the most prominent skyscrapers in the CBD.

There are also many wonderfully well-preserved old shop houses, peranakan style buildings, and colonial buildings if you are into historic architecture.

Ironically, some of my favorite structures are not buildings at all, but bridges. Check out the Double Helix and Henderson Waves.

You might also want to check out:
VivoCity (Toyo Ito), the Esplanade, Marina Sands, the Gateway (I.M. Pei), the Concourse, Singapore National Library, SOTA, Nanyang Tech. Univ. green roof building

I suggest doing some internet searches for stuff you like, and ask your colleagues about which projects are worth visiting once you arrive. I am sure they will have some good suggestions and better insight than me.

Jan 28, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
archi_lp

So, Wannabe.. Its more than a couple of years now. Where are you working currently? And how was your experience in S'pore? 
If u can throw some light on the pros and cons.. and Whom u worked with.. and a little pixie details will be very very helpful.. indeed.
Because am next in line..Starting from the summer of next year, i have got my official internship programme for a period of 6 months.  

If somebody can help me out with when to apply and the little details that slips out of mind generally.. and how should i prepare myself  in terms of portfolio, and when may i start contacting the firms? and how shall i choose the firms out of the ever lasting lists of architects in there ?

Looking forward for a reply.. 
Gracias! 

May 20, 13 7:11 am  · 
 · 
Nandini Annamalai

HI im a third year student from India.I hv planned to do my intern in Singapore for a period of six months.so, it would be helpful if somebody can help me out with the list of top architectural firms (landscape, sustainable or urban planning based firms) and how to apply to firms and in terms of portfolio preparation and on what criteria they would select the interns basically. 

Dec 23, 14 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

How I think about foreign salaries:

I am going to retire to either Florida or Wyoming (No income tax. No giving 30% of your savings to someone else.). Regardless of how much I earn in a foreign city, my retirement expenses will be the same. Whatever offer you accept should be based on the net savings you will be able to do while employed anywhere other than where you want to retire.

And yeah, architects retire - Even if they keep doodling on the side.

Dec 23, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

must be easter... multi year-old threads are resurrecting again. Someone put that bolder back on the cave.

Dec 23, 14 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
nidhiparsana

Hi I am 5th year student and I am looking for short period internships (3 to 4 months).I want to go to Singapore for it. Can you please suggest me firms in near by countries.

Jan 11, 17 12:59 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Sorry to be a nancy but this isn't the way to go about with the application.

Also, if the comment above is any suggestion, please stop necroposting.

Jan 11, 17 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^ brilliant.
Jan 11, 17 8:04 am  · 
 · 
jon ammer

hi Ive spent a lot of time travellign in and out of Singapore

that salary is pitiful

quite difficult to get a job there as Government Policy makes it difficult for firms to hire non locals ( If a job can be filled by a local then they get priority is my understanding )

And standard of young students is quite high ( visited a few Grad shows once)

Salaries from what ive seen advertised in local papers - for a big corporate firm

Senior Architect 8-10 yrs + experience  / Assoc Director Level range is about 8000 - 12000 SGD / Month. Senior Expat architects at that level few and far between based on my perusal of Company Websites

5yrs experience - maybe 5000 to 6/7000$

Grad / Junior w/ 2-3 yrs experience maybe 3000-5000

Local Food is great and very cheap. bowl of ramen + drink meal deal = 5-8$

Transport excellent and very cheap - eg. 2.50$ city to airport on Metro

flights to surrounding countries - lots of deals in the 50-100$ range w/ Air Asia /Tiger air / Jet etc

Everything else is quite expensive. 

apartments near city edges with private room you could be talking about 600-800$

nice place in city = for expat bankers and finance people

cup of coffee in a big name int brand= 6-7 dollars

Pint of Beer -10-15$ glass wine 8-10$

Nice meal in a good restaraunt - same as London etc

nite out in a nice club - 100-200$

youll struggle on 800$ even if your accom. was paid for. you need to pay airfares as well ?  Id say youd need at least 1500- 2000$ mth to survive . 

a lot of Great Architects in Singapore - WOHA , SCDA , Kerry Hill etc but a lot of non descript engineering type firms churning out rubbish.  

Great weather and Exciting Green Architecture- Parks and general landscaping. Quite a bit of work in fit outs of old buildings for interior types

Social policies are quite draconian in ways. no crime but fines for jaywalking and a lot of camera survellance. Most People are not very individualistic 

Jan 26, 17 6:05 am  · 
 · 
jon ammer

Intern is Intern where ever you go. exploited . 800$ is a middle class salary in many Asian countries but poverty level in Singapore

Jan 26, 17 6:10 am  · 
 · 
jon ammer

btw airfares from Sing - KL are possible with Air Asia or budget carriers in the 20-30$ range one way in Low season if you always book ahead by a few weeks.  but at short notice can be 50-100$. train journey is about 5-6 hrs and around 30-40SGD  per trip. 

my salary figures might be a bit high for younger Archs - id concur w/ BE - starting salary prob 2500-300 SGD. You’d need minimum 1500 as an Inter. 

short term accom for first few weeks  “sleeping" in a youth hostel or capsule “hotel” ( quite a few ) with ten to a room works out at 20-25SGD /night = 600-700 Month

Jan 26, 17 6:27 am  · 
 · 
lingeshashwin

hi to everyone I'm from tamilnadu,india . I'm doing my 4th year now i have internship on my next semester so i wish to do my intern in singapore or malasiya. so guys please give me about some information.

Jul 9, 17 2:41 am  · 
 · 
vigneshmurugan

Hi everyone , This is vignesh from Tamilnadu, India. I'm 4th yr Architecture student. I wanna do internship this year and I like to do my intern in singapore. So please someone help me to find good firms and procedure to do intern in singapore.

Oct 5, 17 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I would send flowers and love letters to the firm owners you want to work for. Keep it up for a few weeks and slip in a resume in one of the batches. Guaranteed to work.

Oct 5, 17 8:50 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Can we please just let this thread die?

Oct 5, 17 7:24 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Best way to get an internship is to bribe prospective employers with large shipments of chewing gum. No durian flavored tho...

Oct 5, 17 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

David, everyone knows that you get vodka at Changi airport for 1/3 the cost in country. Please, chewing gum is where the power is. 

Oct 5, 17 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
aditimehta

I have recently graduated in Architecture (B.Arch). I am  from Mumbai, India and  i am  really keen and  looking forward  for  internship in Architecture firm in Singapore. I had applied for  the  same  in  various architect firms in Singapore. I recently received response from few  firms. They have shown interest in  providing  me  internship ,but they have asked  me  to check with Holiday work Pass from  MOM - Singapore Govt. The  eligibility criteria stipulates few countries wherein India is  not mentioned. kindly revert if  anyone  can  help me  regarding the same  Pls drop a  mail at Id - [email protected]

Aditi Mehta   

Aug 16, 18 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
spacefragments

hi wannabe, what jason_sf said above is accurate since i stayed in SG for a good 5 years.  The only thing that I wish to add is you should just be thankful for the small compensation as an intern.  Its quite simple, if you don't take it, somebody else is waiting at the door desiring to grab your position (maybe even for free) just to get the chance.

Aug 17, 18 1:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: