Archinect
anchor

architects getting f'd on Craigslist

St. George's Fields

Interior Architect Intern (West Village)
Date: 2011-02-02, 1:03PM EST

We are an interior design office specializing in high-end residential and commercial projects. We are currently looking for an intern 2-3 days a week to
help with all phases of design process. Daily tasks may include: Model making, 3D modeling, rendering, Drafting, site visits, and design development.

Requirements:
Must have the ability to work in a collaborative team environment
Proficient in AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign (ArchiCAD a plus)
Please Reply with Attached resume and work samples attention Tyler

* Compensation: This is a non-payed internship

Not only can you not pay... you can't spell!

Feb 14, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Interior Architect Intern (West Village

We are an interior design office specializing in high-end residential and commercial projects. We are currently looking for an intern 2-3 days a week to
help with all phases of design process. Daily tasks may include: Model making, 3D modeling, rendering, Drafting, site visits, and design development.

Requirements:
Must have the ability to work in a collaborative team environment
Proficient in AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign (ArchiCAD a plus)
Please Reply with Attached resume and work samples attention Tyler

Compensation: This is a non-payed internship

Feb 14, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Whoops, didn't realize this had gone to two pages!

Feb 14, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Interior Design Intern&Part time (All over NY)

Interior Design Firm looking for an intern and part time position. You will be working as an assistant designer next to the owner of the company. This is an excellent way to learn and grow in this business or company.

Intern will be needed Tuesdays and Thursday of each week. Part time position will be needed 8 hours a week with a flexible schedule.

Ino Design is an Interior Design firm that works on restaurants, catering halls, night spaces, hospitality, and residential spaces. Please visit www.inodesigninc.com to view the company information before contacting.

We will need people who can handle on site measurements, product specifications, ordering, vendor follow ups, cad drawings, 3D renderings, presentation prepperation, taking proper notes and pictures at client meetings, and who is familiar with hospitality codes. We need someone confidence and willing to take on responsibilities.

Must be experienced in Cad drawings & have a car! Will be meeting on job sites in all 5 boroughs of NY and Long Island!

Please email:
1. your resume/portfolio
2. short explanation of your interior design experience/knowledge.
3. Schedule
4. Provide 3 strong points you can bring to this business.
5. We also need to know if you had experience in restaurant space planing on cad, a plus! Need to work on cad from your home.

We will be holding interviews in Park Slope Brooklyn. Please advise if you can meet Sunday 1/30 from 5pm to 8pm, Monday 1/31 from 5pm to 8pm, and Wed. 2/2 5pm to 8pm. (more times to follow)

Thank you for your time... Love/Peace/Prosper

What the shit? This guy is just looking for a free chauffeur.

Feb 14, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

How the fuck are you supposed to "prosper" when tight ass isn't paying you. Someone who *OWNS* CAD and has restaurant planning experience shouldn't be working for free.

This one wins the prize. Not only do you not get a paycheck, but they expect you to spend hundreds of your own dollars on software. Then you get to drive all over NYC burning up your gas.

Feb 14, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

gc and jb, I'd love to participate in my daily 5 minutes of hate on this one, but nowhere in that post does it say that the position is unpaid.

Feb 14, 11 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

It's not that the last one is unpaid, it's that the expectations and cost would be so prohibitive you might as well be working for free.

8 hours a week?! Unless that job pays $30 an hour, the cost of car ownership anywhere in or around NYC would easily suck up any possible money you've made from that.

Hopefully, the firm would reimburse your expenses.

Feb 14, 11 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of an assistant/intern being required to own a car for the position.

The firm principal or owner figured out that it would be cheaper to hire someone than it would be to take taxis or hire a black car.

Feb 14, 11 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

ok you convinced me. Fuuuuuu you www.inodesigninc.com!! grrrrrr

Feb 14, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Cherith,

That craigslist add was bizare. A quick google search of "9900 club" turned up some more info. Is asking for a photo really creepy or just typically LA snobbery?

Feb 14, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

whoa. did you see the picture of the owner? Where is creativity expert to make an inappropriate joke about driving her anywhere for free?

Feb 14, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

might that bring a whole new meaning to the original title of the thread?

Feb 14, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Rusty

HAHAHAHA Im not sure what that photo is supposed to be promoting, but if this is interior design Im switching majors and kicking my advisors ass first thing tomorrow morning.

Also I must have gotten confused between the ads for

1. unpaid internship
2.creepy LA job
and
3. driving mz daisy

Feb 14, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

hahaha

you owe me a new keyboard tag.

Feb 14, 11 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

you have to actually click "Kristy" after clicking #3 above

Feb 14, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

you have to actually click "Kristy" after clicking #3 above

Feb 14, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

hay hay my jokes are all appropriate.

by the way her design sucks, shed have to pay me to drive her around.

Feb 14, 11 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I was thinking how that job would make sense for a Fashion Institute of Technology student (minus the car part). Now it all makes sense.

I used to walk by FIT on my way back from work all the time. The stories I heard from FIT grads were too much to handle for any straight guy (95% females, 5% gay boys) Lots of umm... extracurricular experimenting.

Feb 14, 11 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Are they are on board for Commando Fridays?

Feb 14, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

creepy LA gig-everyone gets the job, none are ever heard from again.

kristy--ashley dupre is venturing into design?

Feb 14, 11 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Are they on board for Commando Fridays?"

The fashion hipsters are attending a secret party in Soho. None of us are invited.

"kristy--ashley dupre is venturing into design?"

Aaaaand there you have it. Linking a designer to a prostitute. I think every thread on here should logically come to the same conclusion.

Feb 14, 11 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

haha...it's not the 'designer' part...she actually looks like her! the hamptons tent-party atmosphere and cheeseball lounge music also fit the bill...

Feb 14, 11 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

During her prostitutin' days Ashley Dupre's work name was Kristen .

Kristen----Kristy, you might be onto something elinor.

btw this thread is soooooo getting taken down now.

Feb 14, 11 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

before it disappears... When you put up a head shot for your business bio that looks more like part of your portfolio for a playboy/maxim shoot or something you had done at glamour shots what should you expect? But of course in 2011 we are all the bad guys/elinors for saying it.

Feb 14, 11 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

meh jb, she knows her audience/clients better than we do. I'd wear a dress that's held together with a gift-box ribbon if it brought in clients.

Feb 14, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Blind clients! Rusty is onto something! It would be kinda tough to criticize the design without seeing it. Especially when you lay on the eleventeen syllable archispeak and nobody including yourself has any idea what you are saying.

Feb 14, 11 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Blind clients!"

I think SOM beat us all to those.

Feb 14, 11 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

interior design is a completely different planet from architecture...kristy knows exactly what her clients want. in my brief (and horrifying) foray into this netherworld, i worked for a young russian oligarch's son who wanted his apartment to look 'like a european restaurant...you know, with flashing lights' and a young hedge fund jerk and his wife, who bought an apartment on park ave. that had been designed (beautifully) by a well-known architect a year before, had us rip it all out to put 'prewar-looking' molding up everywhere, and then furnished their own and their kids' rooms with ikea furniture, because his business associates would never see them. ugh.

Feb 14, 11 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Posted: Feb 16, 2011
Division N/A Duration End of the year
Hours Per Week Flexible Travel Percentage No Travel
Number of Openings 4 Salary Range Unpaid
Job Function Other

Employer Profile
Description
Individual will work with Architects and Interior Designers on a wide spectrum of professional services ranging from strategic planning, new building and complex building renovations, to complete interior design services.

Feb 16, 11 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Creepy LA Darren's current MySpace mood is aroused. I take it the 'interview' process is underway.

Feb 16, 11 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

That was really big of you to friend him Cherith :)

Feb 16, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

beekay31

I'll do it. I'll charge him a day's pay for 15 minutes of work, too.

jbushkey

Risk your stamp on some one else's drawing for a days pay?
---

I'm kidding, of course. I don't have a stamp yet... or a day's pay for that matter. That's just my impoverished subconscious boldly and inappropriately voicing itself again. I have no control over it.

Feb 17, 11 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

I would prefer an entry level Arch grad or student who knows REVIT inside-out: no learn on the job situation here. Must have own version on lap-top - no student version either. Also, must be able to work PT/FT or Freelance.
Suppose you go to City College, Pratt, NYIT, Cooper Union or Columbia...you are really good at REVIT but can't get a job using it and need to have an internship for your NCARB exam. The catch 22 situation is that you have to have experience before you can get hired to get experience. Here is how I can help: I need someone with some experience working in an architecture firm and a great deal of experience in REVIT and NYC Building Code. I will offer you experience to work under an award winning design firm in Queens and you will produce wonderful drawings of Multi-family housing, theaters and residential projects. You may even get a chance to meet clients, go to the Building Department and travel through-out the tri-state area. B Arch a plus and having a car is helpful. Being committed to working FT or PT is a must. I am not looking for floaters that go from job to job. I am looking for someone who is ready to make a committment to build a firm up. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all to apply. Please e-mail a pictogram of your experience - not a standard resume. Something like a flow diagram that explains step - by - step what you have been doing in your architecture education and career. Send me ONE sample of the best REVIT project YOU were in charge of in PDF. Join Linked in and include a link to your site. Include a link to your Facebook page and personal web site if you have one.
I expect to get many responses so the easier it is for me to evaluate you, the better the chances you have of getting an interview. NO CALLS or VISITS without us contacting you first. We will be setting up interviews for the week of March 13th so please indicate when is the best day and time for you to come in for an interview. We have been in business for over 25 years and have worked on many significant projects. We are looking for an intelligent, hard working person who also has a good design sense and understands how buildings go together. Expeditor license and a people person is a big plus. Thank you for your interest and I look forward to hearing from you before Friday, March 11th.

Mar 8, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

So now we need to have our own $6,000 copy of a piece of software to apply for entry level jobs? Does this position pay accordingly?

I posted someplace else how I envy my old boss who only needed a set of pencils, scales, etc to go looking for work. Another example of the diminishing returns of technology. I guess it is time to start advising anyone without a trust fund not to bother studying architecture. There are easier ways that are more fun to go broke.

Mar 8, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

All these requirements, including a car in NYC, and you must be willing to make a committment (sic) to the firm. I assume they don't provide health insurance since it's sometimes PT, sometimes FT. Please send a PDF of only ONE of the Revit projects you were personally in charge of as an entry-level architecture grad or student. WTF?

Mar 8, 11 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

It probably translates to entry level pay for a much more experienced person, but maybe they mean you were the Revit lead.

Mar 8, 11 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Not on craigslist, but here's one from:

Provisions LLC of Bingham Farm, MI

Graphic Design Intern
Position Type: Internship
Salary Level: Unpaid Internship

Job Responsibilities:
Designing marketing materials both print and web
Creating and producing logos for campaigns, promotions, events, and conferences
Creating information packages, brochures, and pamphlets
Assisting in creative projects delegated by immediate supervisor
Ensure consistent look and feel for ProVisions, LLC, the EUR-AM Center, and its affiliates

Experience and Skill Requirements
Experience using content management applications
Ability to apply best Web practices and perform accessibility validation
Ability to code and design for all current Internet browsers, operating systems, and platforms
Proficient in web and graphic design software
Experience in cascading style sheets, e-commerce, and server side technologies such as PHP, Pearl
Understanding of Web technology, architecture, and servers

Blatantly taking advantage of students really pisses me off. If I'm wrong about this being illegal please let me know.

Mar 14, 11 10:41 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Answered my own question.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03intern.html

Illegal and Immoral

Mar 14, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

From CL today.

"I am receiving a resume every 3.69 minutes. Tell me what you can take apart, put together, document, take apart, research, spec, detail, look beautiful and not leak, thermally isolated with a sense of design. LEED is not a sustainable qualification."

Thats quite the list of requirements sir.

Mar 14, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

When you are a dime a dozen, or thats what they want us to believe

"Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin' (workin')
Workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'.

Hey I'm not complaining 'cause I really need the work
Hitting up my buddy's got me feeling like a jerk
Hundred dollar car note, two hundred rent.
I get a check on Friday, but it's all ready spent.

Workin' for a livin', livin' and workin'
I'm taking what they giving 'cause I'm working for a livin'"

Cos I am the BIMFixit Man -

"Directory don't have it CENTRAL Done forgot it "- gotta post in two hours"

Mar 14, 11 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

omg brooklynboy - that takes the cake! With all the talk of "you need experience to complete your IDP" it sounds suspiciously like this person is going to offer zero pay, on top of all the other crap in this ad.

What gets me the most of the confusing nature of the requirements. You want an entry-level person - but also someone with not only solid knowledge of the NYC building code, but an expeditor's license to boot?! Plus you suppose this person to be so junior that they still need IDP hours as an incentive to work for your arrogant ass ("I expect to get many responses"), BUT senior enough to have PERSONALLY MANAGED MULTIPLE REVIT PROJECTS?! Is this 'employer' living in a dream world?

Oh, and the job he's offering doesn't sound so great, either: in return for the privilege of working on his designs for (likely) little to no pay, you get the wonderful IDP experience that you supposedly need because somehow miraculously you have tons of Project Management experience but haven't managed to finish your IDP hours, and if all goes well, you MIGHT also get the privilege of meeting the client! Woohoo!

All that and you don't even get client face-time?! Fuck, man. Throw in the legal Revit copy requirement (seriously?!) and you've got yourself a shitty deal here.

Mar 16, 11 1:57 am  · 
 · 
damirarch

@brooklynboy thanks for that post and @mantaray deconstructed it pretty well. From the add I can tell this guy is from NYC and all I can add is that only in NYC you can come across such an elaborate and arrogant jackass who thinks he has this sh#t figured out. That's what I like about New York, you can spot these assholes from afar as they are not afraid to show off their stupidity.

Mar 24, 11 12:10 am  · 
 · 
tagalong
This post on the Austin craigslist definitely makes me wonder.....
http://austin.craigslist.org/egr/2318773809.html

female junior designer / handywoman (Lakeway/ Austin)Successful Lakeway Design/ Build Company looking for female handywoman/ junior designer to join in continued growth.  

Requesting:  
-college graduate  
-design experience  
-problemsolving abilities  
-handywoman skills  
-project management experience a plus  
-advanced tool knowledge  
-basic knowledge of design & construction industries  
-computer skills including programs such as:  
-cad/ rivet  
-microsoft visio  
-adobe collection  

Please submit resume.  
Apr 11, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
damirarch

@tagalong

Did the company state "Not an equal opportunity employer" or is the add from 1920's. :))

Apr 11, 11 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I hear "rivet" is the future...

Apr 11, 11 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I think someone wants some eyecandy in the office.

Apr 12, 11 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

$25? Try half that:
(found it here: http://buffalo.craigslist.org/egr/2244309098.html)

Architectural Autocad Residential project (Buffalo, NY) Date: 2011-03-03, 9:59AM EST
Reply to: job-xzrwv-2244309098@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads? ]

We are seeking an experinced residential designer architect for a 2000 sf residence.

We require that you have a minimum of 5 years of single or multi family residential experince.
Thats full time work in an architects office preparing construction documents.

Our first project needs to be completed by Saturady - this weekend

This is an 8 to 10 hour project, floor plans and elevations.

We don't want an employee only a subcontractor that we can use from time to time.

• Compensation: Hourly rate of $12.50 hour
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Apr 13, 11 1:08 am  · 
 · 
bartender

That is infuriating, as is the rest of this thread. Five years experience as a contractor for $12.50/hour?! After self-employment taxes, one could probably make more at McDonalds/Walmart/Starbucks/etc. 

If this firm needs help with a deadline, especially needing someone with five years experience, it should be prepared to pay for the skills and experience necessary to meet that deadline. 
Apr 13, 11 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

$12.50 an hour you say?? That sounds like a ton of dough. Just be glad you don't live in the architectural desert that is Chicago. Here is a recent example of our craigslist ads:

Local real estate developer seeking architecture student or recent grad interested in adding a finished project to their resumé. Obligations include drawing up plans for a new rehab 6-flat in the Pilsen neighborhood and supervision on-site to ensure the project meets your specs.

• Compensation: This is an unpaid internship
  • This is an internship job
Haha. Sounds like mr. developer wants some free slave labor. Internship my ass as NCARB doesn't recognize unpaid internships as legit. Unpaid = no NCARB credit.

Apr 13, 11 4:52 am  · 
 · 
damirarch

Do you know that dog walkers get $17/hour.  Good ones, that keep track of how many times dog pooped or peed.

Apr 14, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: