Archinect
anchor

seeking advice on landing a job with an architecture or engineering firm

Hello, 

I'm looking to begin a career in architecture, but I'm having a difficult time in finding an entry level position or an internship for that matter. I'm a 3rd year architecture student. I hold a diploma in AutoCAD drafting and have been developing a technical acumen in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, 3ds Max and SketchUp. I'm not just looking to work at an architecture firm, but I would like the chance to start this journey at an engineering firm(if possible). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Jul 9, 14 4:32 pm
Anob

If you're focusing to get your feet into engineering, tailor you resume for engineering. When I was looking I had 6 different resumes which I tailored for every firm I was sending it to. For engineering I would for focus in CAD and MEP or Structure or whatever Revit. For a design architect I would only include SketchUp, Photoshop, AutoCAD, InDesign, etc... For a technical firm I would focus on AutoCAD and Architectural Revit.

To also be honest, architects usually hire Arch students and engineers usually hire engineering students. So it might be tougher for you. But I worked with a educated product designer in a arch firm before, so there's hope.

Good luck Bro!

Jul 9, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Anob,

Tailoring my resume is good advice. However, my work experience has been outside of architecture or engineering for that matter. What would you suggest?

Chris

Jul 9, 14 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

can you describe your experience for us, what kind of jobs and what task you did in those jobs, Also important is your software skills for entry level work.

Nov 28, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I don't understand... why would you want to work in an engineering firm rather than an architectural firm? What do you hope to get out of your work experience? 

I've worked in almost every single type of design setting. I've worked (and currently work) at an architectural firm; I've worked for a Structural/Civil/MEP Engineering/Project Management Firm; I've worked for Interior Designers; I've worked for Contractors.

This experience has exposed me to a lot of different facets of the architectural profession. But most importantly, it has allowed me to narrow down what direction I want my career to go in...

Many people who stay in one place doing Commercial Interiors for 5 years (for example) and then want to move on doing ground up construction, will have a very hard time proving to their prospective employers that they have the experience and knowledge to do that... A person with 5 years of experience will not necessarily want to start from scratch in terms of learning the typology by simply doing drafting work and yet they also won't have the necessary project management skills which are based on the understanding of the typology. 

My point is that once you start working at an engineering firm, and you stay there for a while, it'll be very hard to go back to working for an architect simply because you'll have to re-train your mindset. Why make an investment in something that you'll later have to flush down the toilet? I'm not saying that the experience you'll get isn't worth anything, but if your intent is to be an architect- the better investment in time and money is in architecture, not another discipline. 

Jul 9, 14 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Chris, I found my first job (and a subsequent job, but not all) by networking outside of the industry and making a personal connection that then got me in front of an employer where I could show them my worth (because we all know resumes fall on closed minds 99% of the time). Don't disregard this route, talk to every one you know about what you want to do and if people like you they will use their connections to get you in somewhere. It is hard for an employer to take a chance on newbies, so getting in with a personal connection makes it more likely. good luck!

Jul 10, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Hello BulgarBlogger,

I hear what you are saying. However, your statement that follows your question answers the question you posed to me. Your experience that involved engineering got you to where you are, now. From what I understand, there isn't an architecture firm who would not benefit from an individual who has an engineering background. BulgarBlogger, I just want the opportunity to at least get my "foot in the door", and as you experienced, exposure to engineering helped considerably.

Thanks,

Chris

Jul 10, 14 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Tint

Jul 10, 14 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sharonda

Play to your strengths but don't avoid the obvious (that your experience is limited). turn this into a positive. Let them know you're eager to gain experience in engineering and prove your commitment to learning new skills-as for finding internships, it really is as simple as being persistent. Tintt is right too, don't underestimate the power of networking outside of your industry-but have a game plan for the kind of people you want to meet-and who they could introduce you to

Sep 21, 15 5:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: