Archinect
anchor

architecture programs in tokyo for non japanese speaking?

fartchitect

Hello, im currently in my undergraduate degree in architecture, and im looking forward to study my graduate degree (architecture, urban design) in tokyo! I m very intersted in living the culture shock! For me the city, the culture, the enriching differences is the most important bit. But i dont know japanese, (looking forward to during my stay there) but for now what i need is a great graduate program in a great school in tokyo, and an idea of the tuition and cost of living there!  (i've found some websites but i thought they might be outdated, old because i was expecting much higher cost)

Any info would be great, some personal experience of studying architecture there.. Are the acceptance rate super competitive? (the international students ?)

Jul 9, 14 1:08 pm
accesskb

Don't know of any architecture programs in Japan that are instructed in english.  Doubt there are even any.  Your best bet would be to enroll in a university in US or so which have an exchange/collaboration with a japanese university.

Jul 9, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

see, this is why archinect is both fascinating and annoying as hell. Negative commentary with various amount of smarm covered ignorance ;-)

for what its worth...

u of tokyo is in english

keio university at shonan fujisawa campus and at hiyoshi campus is in english

waseda might be in english, but cant say for sure. i taught a few courses there before current job in english but cant say if archtiecture program is english there now or not.  maybe.

there are many schools that you can get a good education in english in tokyo.

for myself i went to u of tokyo, and now i teach at keio (with sejima, if names matter to you). We do real buildings, students this term are building a school in the congo, a church in the phillipines (after storm that hit recently), and a zero energy house that is also being used to partially test LVL structure for first time in Japan. Studios and other stuff also going on, but mostly the students work on the reality based stuff as project managers more or less. Also required to do research topic that has to pass academic muster. No degrees by design here unfortunately.  Pretty much all profs have PhD and license and run own office - and students are expected to follow same pattern. Both easier and harder than western model.

kuma is at u of tokyo with yusuke obuchi in the global coe program, which is totally english, no Japanese allowed. Check the latter out via google, his studio is insanely good, if you are into parametric design (AA school style). very intense, highly rewarding.  other profs there are more traditional, also teach in english but with more japanese mixed in is my guess.

i did phd on monbukagakusho scholarhsip. apply from own country. very very very competitive. its for a free ride plus living stipend.  takes about a year to get it so start early.  Def recommend it, if you are good student and have a research project that is interesting enough you could have a chance. you will compete against every field of study, from medical doctors to chemists, so you have to be exceptional student in general, not just in architecture.  you also have to pass entrance exam for the university graduate school. This is not hard but not easy either.

cost of living in tokyo is a bit high. apts are small. students seem to get by on about 1200-1500 a month for food and rent, but that is for small room (like 10-20m2) is my guess, maybe close to school if lucky. food is awesome here, people are great. nobody speaks english outside of uni, but thats cool if you like a challenge. tuition for my school is about 15-20k/year i think (no idea if foreign students pay more or not). For u of tokyo i had a scholarship so not sure what tuition is, but I think its around 5-6 k/term.

reciprocity is an issue. check with where you are from about this. often it is a no-go and you will need to get a march in home country (USA like this i believe) after finishing the one you get here. not so cool, that.

best of luck.

Jul 10, 14 3:16 am  · 
 · 
fartchitect

Thank you Will Galloway!

Do you know anything about tokyo institue of technology?  do they have an interesting architecture-urban master program? intense workshops with professors? 

Thanks in advance!

Aug 18, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
hsark1

this is a bit old but Tokyo Tech is a bit more research oriented it does have a 100% english program but i think its only run by Okuyama his a great guy to meet in person and ive had many opportunities to hangout in his lab and talk to other masters students....Tokyo U and Keio and Kyoto are pretty good but Tokyo is the best for english based programs .

What you will find is that your professors won't have much time for you in Japan vs Europe each Lab has 30+ students so its really important to know your fellow senpai(PHD students or Associate Proffessors) I saw Kuma more times at the office than Tokyo U

Aug 23, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
ahmedkabel

Any one knows where i can get Tokyo's Architectural entrance exam samples for master's degree or any other Japanese university. I just want to get the hang of how difficult the exams are.

Feb 10, 17 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: