Archinect
anchor

Joining workforce in high-unemployment year a drag on lifetime earnings

bowling_ball

Joining workforce in high-unemployment year a drag on lifetime earnings

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/Joining-workforce-in-high-unemployment-year-a-drag-on-lifetime-earnings-266255151.html

Super duper interesting read.

Jul 8, 14 5:59 pm
DeTwan

If there is ever a reason not to take an unpaid internship.

Jul 8, 14 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is a shortage of good architects in Manitoba (where the article originates from). Feel free to move, salaries are higher I've been told.

Jul 9, 14 8:26 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

leads to some very interesting reading, haven't found a solution anywhere though

Jul 9, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Non Sequitur I'm in Manitoba. It's difficult to compare salaries across different geographical areas and markets. I've heard some depressing stories from more saturated markets like Toronto and Vancouver.

Jul 9, 14 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bowling-Ball, I mentioned Manitoba above because the link was from a Winnipeg based website. I have a colleague who found great employment in Winnipeg straight out of grad school. He eventually left (honestly, it's damn cold up there) but it then took him several years to come back to what his starting salary was. You are however correct about the larger Canadian cities. All sorts of talented designers are flocking to Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal and competing for low-level jobs. Other cities, like mine (Ottawa), cannot retain enough talent to compete and weed out the D-list designers.

Jul 10, 14 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: