Archinect
anchor

Yale Architecture Ph.D.

kallen2

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with or knowledge of this program? It sounds like the exact program I'm looking for (on paper, at least) but I'm curious to get other insight into the program.

Program description: "The five-year doctoral program prepares candidates for careers in university teaching, cultural advocacy and administration, museum curatorship, and publishing. It aims chiefly, however, to educate teachers capable of effectively instructing future architects in the history of their own field and its manifold connections with the culture at large. The program forges a unique combination of professional knowledge with a historical and analytical grasp of key phases in the history of architecture, especially those that have a demonstrable share in the field’s current state and its critical issues. The program secures sound training in historical study and historiography, imparting technical knowledge and awareness of intellectual trends that inform the reception and role of architecture around the world. The history of science and technology (as well as its reception in popular culture and the arts), the history of media, and an understanding of architectural practice are as important as the fine arts and literature."

For reference, I will be graduating in 2015 with a Masters in Architecture (and minor in Urban Studies) from Tulane University. I've worked in communication/editorial positions with Architecture for Humanity, ArchDaily, and Metropolis Magazine, and am also collaborating on an upcoming New York architecture book. I'm not necessarily planning to go back to school soon, but am entertaining options for the future....

I'd be grateful for any help/advice anyone would have to offer!

Jul 8, 14 1:59 pm
Volunteer

Historically architecture is one of the five original fine arts along with music, poetry, sculpture and painting. I would think the history of architecture is well covered in any related fine arts course. The course description seems like a lot of buzzwords strung together without realizing the courses they describe already exist in a more cohesive form in dozens of schools. Still, a good a reason as any to pee away five years without facing reality.

Jul 8, 14 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Tulane '10 here. 

I would recommend skipping the degree for now. Better to get your feet wet writing criticism, continue working on the publishing side, trying to curate an architecture or design show, etc...

Gamard may not be a strong voice at Tulane anymore, but her admiration of Yale seems to be carrying on... While I've no doubt it is a fine program, I have to wonder if it is worth it currently.

How many jobs are available in Architecture education, journalism, criticism, curation, and documentation? Probably not many. While you will meet many people through this program that can get you into these worlds, I would much rather spend 5 years of my life building a career in the very fields that you hope to access by doing a Phd. 

Jul 8, 14 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: