Archinect
anchor

Architectural courses vs bachelor degree

Racsol84

Hi, My name is Carlos Izurieta, I'm 30 year old, I am an artist from Ecuador and very interested in becoming an architect. In 2004 my family had economical problems so i had to quit my architectural studies and fly to New York and Atlanta, United States,  where i worked for 9 years. during that time i had the chance to work at the Metropolitan Museum of New York and learn about art and design.

I believe I am well suited to pursue my dream as an architect, because of my zeal to contribute to the environmental problems we are trying to deal with by incorporating new ideas using bio mimicry, and form design all inspired by nature.

But my financial problems are very deep. I am going to become an architect, so I asked close friends and most of them told me i should only take architectural courses an not study the whole career of  architecture in a university. They say i have already mastered skills as an artist like : composition, design, forms, colors, nature, structured ideas, how to choose ideas, creativity , etc.

So , my question for you is : Do you think I should study the whole career of  architecture including of course classes that i actually dont need to at a good university , or an intensive architecure course that probably wont give me a title but will give me  the whole experience to do so. remember I'm 30 years.

Please help me, estare en deuda contigo!

Jul 7, 14 1:19 pm
Non Sequitur

One cannot become an architect without an accredited degree plus completion of examination and internship hours. The practice of architecture is much more than whimsical designs and forms and... unfortunately, there is no shortage of people who think they have the skills to circumvent accredited education. That being the case for developed countries, perhaps the rules in Ecuador differ (or simply do not exist) as to whom can practice architecture.

Jul 7, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

you are exceptionally week credentialed to be "coloumbused." I recommend that you look for a very old sole-propeitor firm which is of middling talent, but financially successful. Your application must be very humble, and equally full of insight and grammatical errors. once employed, you must, "say yes to anything." If you made the right choice, you should be partner within a decade, at which point you can reveal your true talent.

Jul 7, 14 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

How many of us, prior to starting our architectural educations, look at portfolios of architectural students and said, "That is crap.. I could design architecture a hundred times better looking that that."  Ofcourse were were just naive back then and had no clue about  bells and whistles that comes with designing a building that can be built.

Jul 7, 14 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: