Archinect
anchor

CPA first, then M.Arch?

ckpckp1994

Hello Everyone! I'm new here! 

I'm currently in college studying Economics and Accounting. I plan on becoming a CPA in a few years after graduation and get on with my life as an accountant. However, I was thinking a lot about my career lately, and realized that I'd like to go back to my initial passion -- architecture! For that matter, I have a few questions regarding M.Arch programs and admissions.

(1) I've been told my whole life that architecture majors do not have a good career prospect. That's why I bravely gave up studying architecture to pursue accounting in college. If I want to go back to get a M.Arch in the future, would my background in business hurt / help me? Is it common for someone to get into this field without a background in art / architecture? 

(2) I'm quite familiar with law school admissions. All they care about are only two things: LSAT scores and GPA. If you score high in these two areas, you're in no matter what. Is that the same with M.Arch programs? I understand that you have to submit portfolios and GRE and stuff, but how technical architecture schools admissions actually are?

(3) Also, within the field of law school admissions, we have a saying that once you get into a top law school, you don't have to worry (or worry less) about career after graduation. However, if you don't, then don't even consider about going to law schools. Is it the same goes for M.Arch? Would graduating from an Ivy be any different from graduating from a non-lvy? 

Thank you all! Much appreciated. 

Jul 7, 14 1:25 pm
pale shelter

ck: if I were you; I'd try and make good money with your current education and experience.. .I'd get into finance or wealth management... Then; if you have a decent amount of money to throw around; do your own architecture as a 'hobby' .. build your own cabin; or learn to finance your own development projects and do some of the design yourself... rent out beautiful homes or build small multi-family resident projects.

When you are the Owner...architecture is sooo much better... and you won't being working backwards with career advancement as an architect. Architecture is better as a hobby and not a career.... plus doing the drawings yourself gets boring. You're better off paying a draft monkey for that.

Law school is not equivalent to arch school. I've worked alongside ivy league grad architects... they often make a bit more but get laid off like the rest of us in bad times.. .I have not seen a strong correlation between successful architects and their college degree. In fact; the owner of my last firm wasn't even an architect- a harvard history major lol... Ivy leagues showcase that you are of the 1% and perhaps have that rare drive ... but architecture won't give back that way ... Yes;where you go to  Law school and Business school DOES matter and will put you in networks of high wealth individuals....

There is no such thing as a network of wealthy architects....

Jul 7, 14 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

bravely gave up studying architecture to pursue accounting. 

heroically bought a minivan and a house in the suburbs. 

gallantly retired to a gated community in Florida.

Jul 7, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: