Archinect
anchor

Internship unpaid but with accom

jjduncs

Hi,

I've been offered a spot for 2 to 3 months in a small Japanese office of about 5 employees which is unpaid but with a bedroom provided. It's Jun Igarashi's firm which seems orientated towards small residences, but it is far from a 'starchitect's office. 

What are your thoughts on this position, given that other Japanese firms have offered me internships with no pay and no accommodation which I have declined because they simply aren't feasible (Go Hasegawa.).

Jul 2, 14 12:27 am
natematt
Presumably you will still be deep in the red from the experience...

Education? Previous experience?
Jul 2, 14 3:08 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
I could be mistaken but most of Japan's new interns work in "open desks." Meaning, you aren't paid until you "earn" a full time position.
Jul 2, 14 10:38 am  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

Yeah all offices have an "open desk" period of 3-6months, I've just accepted one from Sou Fujimoto and one from Tezuka Architects. Planning to work part time teaching english or something during the weekends to offset some cost. I've also been told from a person with experience that (at least with Fujimoto), if you tell him you want to be evaluated as potential staff during your open desk, and give him a deadline or something, you'll find out quicker whether or not they'll hire you and shorten your trial period.

Jul 2, 14 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Don't expect much in starting pay either, but the system is national - open desk for a few months and then they'll give you a shot provided they have the capacity and they want you there.  At least the cost of living is pretty reasonable as long as you don't mind a commute.

Jul 2, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: