Archinect
anchor

Treatment of dislocated scaffolding effects

farha1

We constructed a building and the scaffolding was dislocated at one of the corners. When cleared we found that the ceiling was inclining  at that location with a slope in the ceiling. How do we correct it with painting, colour, so that it does not appear bad.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours sincerely,

Farha

Jun 28, 14 4:55 am

Make the floor pitch to match.

Jun 28, 14 9:57 am  · 
 · 
farha1

The floor pitch cannot be changed.

Jun 28, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm not sure what you mean by the scaffolding being dislocated and the ceiling inclining.  you mean the ceiling was designed to be flat, but instead of installing that way, you installed a sloping ceiling, and now you want to hide that mistake with color?

Jun 28, 14 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
farha1

The ceiling was designed to be flat, one of the supports made way and the slab was cast inclined and its sloping towards one corner. There is nothing that we can do about it, other than colour the ceiling at the corner in a way that it would not appear inclined.

Jun 28, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Tilt all the windows and doors to make them parallel to the ceiling. Then it will look flat. 

Jun 28, 14 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you could tear it out and do it right?

Jun 28, 14 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Where exactly is this building? And do you have any pictures?

Jun 28, 14 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
This sounds kinda sketchy...I don't know how much using color would be successful. Maybe just use a gyp ceiling suspended from the slab that is level.
Jun 28, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm not following 'slab.'  like, slab on deck?  or a precast or poured concrete?

when i think of ceiling, i think of lay-in tile or gyp. bd.  it sounds like yours is different

Jun 28, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
farha1

by slab I mean concrete poured slab.  I do not have any pictures for now. We cannot tear it out and the height is only 6 feet, it is a mezzanine bathroom, so there is no way we can have a gypsum of false ceiling. Please help.

Jun 28, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

You poured a concrete slab floor in mid-air? Is that even possible...?

Jun 28, 14 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Pour it full of concrete and pretend it never existed. The midgets can pee somewhere else.

Jun 28, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

^ this guy runs his own firm and pays his interns shit money. I'm about to quit. Adios.

Jun 28, 14 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're not going to fix it with color.  poured concrete slab means slab on deck right?  then the deck is supported by metal joists?  you can tear it out, you just don't want to because it's a pain in the ass.  i think the other option is to tell the owner or whoever that their bathroom floor isn't going to be flat.  or did you use a self-levelling concrete or something on the floor above?

there is a possibility that this will create and eccentric or otherwise uneven loading on your structure, which could possibly be a bad thing

Jun 28, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Can't you just grind it flat.  

Jun 28, 14 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

autobot, you mean farha or miles?

Jun 28, 14 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

The principal of a firm posting about midget piss on an architecture forum.

Jun 28, 14 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Id just level it with a hand grinder and then go over the entire area with a course wheel or maybe do a thin skim coat to even out the color and texture.  

Jun 28, 14 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

If I understand correctly, the corner of the ceiling  on the under side of the slab is lower only?  Or is the whole slab tilted?

Jun 28, 14 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wait.  Just realized that this op is the same person as the high window thread?  

Jun 28, 14 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Are you really a little person?  

Jun 28, 14 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Yes, jla-x, this is the same person.

farha1, who is the architect of this building? These are both issues your architect should solve. An operable window that can't be reached is a bad design and the architect should come up with a solution. A sloping floor slab is an issue your structural engineer - who should be subcontracted to your architect - should weigh in on and the contractor should repair at their own expense. The architect should not approve payment to the contractor until the structural engineer's fix is implemented.

These are not the kind of things you should be seeking help with from strangers on the internet.
Jun 28, 14 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

does miles really have low-paid interns?  you should pay your interns more.  life is expensive up in your neck of the woods.

Jun 28, 14 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
farha1

The slab is fine. One of the segments seems to have inclined. It cannot be grinded off, as you know steel rebars need a concrete cover. Please let me know if there is any solution.

Jun 28, 14 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Segments?  Don't get it.  Need pic. 

Jun 28, 14 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

^ this guy runs his own firm and pays his interns shit money. I'm about to quit. Adios.

Interns get paid?!

Jun 28, 14 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

So farha1 are you the architect?

Jun 29, 14 10:36 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Only one solution to making the ceiling look flat is to make sure everyone that goes into the room tilt their head, and when they say why is the wall not straight? Then you just say because your head is tilted. Best solution and no need for paint or to take out a hovered built slab w/ mysterious segments.

And if the client or visitor complains, just tell them to stare at the "window to heaven," to diverge them from the issue and say that it was designed by James Turrell.  Problem solved to compliment the tought/design intent of the architect/engineer.

Jun 29, 14 11:40 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

quan might be on to something with the window to heaven thing

if you painted something to draw attention on the other corner, like say a big picture of marylin monroe naked (depending on your clientele), then i don't think anyone would notice the sloping ceiling.

i think i've pieced some of this together better.  you built formwork (plywood or whatever) to pour the concrete into, but when you added wet concrete on top, one of the temporary formwork supports buckled, so that sheet of plywood (or other formwork) fell. your concrete folks decided to just go with that.  if that's the case, and you have a flat floor above, that means your concrete is thicker and heavier in the corner.  depending on how significant this slope is, that could bring in structural concerns again.

Jun 29, 14 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Slope the corner or something to make it look like it should be there? If it is what it sounds like.
Jun 29, 14 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

In New England there are two kinds of Contractors.  One kind builds new houses the other remodels and does additions to old houses.  Maybe you need to find one of these kind of guys to help you out, cause old houses in New England are never square or level from floor to floor.  Great remodel contractors have a bag of tricks for making things look level when nothing is level.  It is really all about tricking  the eye. 

Jun 29, 14 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Remove all the lights and use glow-in-the-dark bath fixtures.

Jun 29, 14 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

In New England there are two kinds of Contractors. 

In the Hamptons there are two kinds of Contractors. One kind builds huge spec houses as fast as they can. The other starts fixing them immediately.

Jun 29, 14 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Miles++ lol
Jun 29, 14 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
The OP is either a troll or someone w a bag of disasters.
Jun 30, 14 9:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you have a finished ceiling height of six feet? how the hell does this happen. why worry about the ceiling slope it is already two inched lower than i am tall. no one will notice this mistake as they will be too busy trying to avoid head injuries.

Jun 30, 14 10:26 am  · 
 · 
gruen

vado, cr*p. I missed that. 6'0 ceiling - this isn't even up to code, at least in the US. Of course, the correct answer (if it was in the US) is to get the contractor to repair it (it's their fault) and sue the architect for designing a 6' high bathroom. 

Jun 30, 14 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This thread title is great. Because of this, doing a google search for "treatment for dislocated scaffolding" gets you a nice combo of architecture and medical pics. 

Can anyone spec some ointment for these sores? 

Jul 2, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: