Archinect
anchor

Window Out of Reach

farha1

Hi All,

I am in a real need for help. There is a window which goes above the stairs case. It is so high that we cannot reach it by hand from inside. to close and open the window we would need to go all the way up and then open/close it. Is there any way that we could make the window open from inside.

Jun 27, 14 5:04 pm
curtkram
farha1

Could someone please suggest a more chic product or solution,as this is to be in a commercial building and would not suit with long rods hanging around.

Jun 28, 14 4:53 am  · 
 · 
That's the best solution unless you want to invest it automatic opening systems.
Jun 28, 14 7:56 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

To open the window, you could get a shotgun and just blow it open from a distance.  This solution would have the added benefit of somehow strengthening the constitution and 'murica.  2nd amendment and all that. People will love it.

To close the window again just hire someone to replace it.  They'll bring their own ladder, so you don't even have to worry about it.

Miles had a question about his dishwasher in another thread.  Think you might be able to help him out?

Jun 28, 14 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Opening a window in a commercial building? Did you ask permission? Management might not like that. 

Jun 28, 14 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Hire former NBA players as window operators.

Jun 28, 14 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Put a new staircase on your old staircase that leads up to the window.

Jun 28, 14 10:18 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I have an idea. Don't open and close the window. Aren't there other commercial windows you can open and close in your free time?
Jun 28, 14 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

+++curtkram and miles.  Lol.  

Jun 28, 14 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
farha1

Please help here.

Jun 28, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
If it's a casement or awning endow there is hardware that allows you yo use a long rod *that can be stored in a closet* to operate the window. There is no rod "hanging around". The only other option is something power-operated, which I've only seen in cars.
Jun 28, 14 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

alibaba had a couple remote motorized things.  i wouldn't trust junk from alibaba though unless i knew someone who'd already used it for a couple years.

Jun 28, 14 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I did a project about 15 years ago where we put electric operators on casement windows because the client was in her eighty's and didn't want to be bothered with cranking open windows and closing them.  They were in for about a month and I had a call from her to stop by for and afternoon cocktail. When I got there we had our afternoon drink and she went on to tell me she wanted the operators disconnected on the windows as soon as possible. Apparently a couple nights before there had been a wicked thunder storm and it had caused the windows to start opening and closing. She told me it was like being in a horror movie.  So the next day we ditched about $5,000.00  of electronic equipment and reinstalled the manual hardware. She was a great client,  a full life, sharp as a tack, and she told me when I started the project the only thing she didn't have was"Time"  So we set about a schedule and  stuck to it.  We started the project in the Fall and she left for Florida, and spent the winter and returned on Memorial Day Weekend to a completed project.  We ended up doing not only work for her but also for her daughter and the people who purchased her daughters house when they decided it was just to big for the two of them.

Jun 28, 14 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
If you're a designer, integrate the 'long rods' into your design. We don't just organize product purchases as architects. We make them work together in a cohesive way.

Find the thing that works and then get to the real design job! Make it make sense rather than 'hanging around'!
Jun 29, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
You know what I want? An invisible person/thing to open all the blinds on my windows at 8am each day, and then close them at sunset. My arm is getting tired.
Jun 29, 14 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i believe they do make smart-home type things for curtains or blinds that could be fairly effective

Jun 29, 14 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Could someone please suggest a more chic product or solution

helper monkey?

Jun 29, 14 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This must be in America, who else on the planet would be so lazy as to complain about scaling stairs to open a window. 

Jun 30, 14 6:53 am  · 
 · 

Chic, toasteroven, they want chic: helper monkey dressed in Prada.

Jun 30, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

How about burying the long rods into the wall if you don't want them visible

Jun 30, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's a simple and chic solution. call out window as a fixed window. a fixed window does not need to open or close because, well, it doesn't open or close. this is why it is called a fixed window. now i must go help miles with his dishwasher.

Jun 30, 14 10:22 am  · 
 · 
3tk

My neighbor in Germany had a system set up so the windows opened to ventilate and cool the room and the blinds came down automatically during the sunlight portion of the day; they also all closed during rain.  Wasn't cheap or easy to maintain though.

Jun 30, 14 10:50 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

design better and don't put windows up there... or paint it black and assume there was no window up there...  or just buy a ladder from home depot

Jun 30, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I think you should introduce  "Thong Rods" in your design.... for the sex apeal

Jun 30, 14 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: