Archinect
anchor

gabion structures

cdl

While stationed in Basra Iraq and surrounded by Hesco barriers ( a geo-textile lined gabian basket filled with sand) I began to think about using this type of structure to construct a crude shed for agricultural equipment/materials storage. After seeing some discussion (old postings) as well as the now iconic winery pictures, I still believe the idea has some merit. I am not sure if I want to use the classic (rock/rubble) Gabian or rather a more hesco (sand filled geo textile) design, but I am intrigued with the idea. Certainly cost effectiveness would be a pivotal criteria. One of my thoughts was to use a sloping grade and perhaps a UDPM membrane folded at a right angle outwards around the basw to mitigate moisture intrusion. I definitely like the thermal mass properties of this type of structure and could see some application relative to this. I am not an architect nor an engineer so I am soliciting some advice from you guys. Another idea I had was utillizing a "rubble trench foundation to support the walls. albeit, I noticed that we had no such foundations while in the desert wher obviusly we had little moisture and no subsequent LEP relative to the sand used to fill the Hesco (geo-tex basket structures) What say you?

Nov 27, 10 1:16 am
Rusty!

Gabon has valid uses for engineering and military. Namely, retention walls and blast protection.

If you want to geek out and do walls that meet actual civilian criteria, do consider rammed earth .
It meets all the criteria you are talking about.

I hope some rammed earth experts on this forum sound in. We have a few here.

Otherwise your enthusiasm for regional construction is quite welcomed. Do expand on your requirements. Most architects dream about building their dream castle with their own hands.

Nov 27, 10 5:28 am  · 
 · 
cdl

my idea is to construct an agricultural shelter using very low cost materials that would have such a thermal mass that it would offer some degree of warmth relative to the northwest exposure if it were perhaps bermed. Basically it would be like using sandbags but on a much larger scale/. One idea I had would be to have it bermed into the grade facing the Southeast and to use edpm or a cheaper roofing material below the bermed grade the gabian gages could would be wrapped with geo-textile on the inside like a hesco barrier but I would insert a piece of rigid insulation in the middle of each cage before backfilling it with sand. A cheap lightweight roof with either trusses or a beam support would extend out to provide a good deal of overhang over the "walls" and an insulated door in the front would complete the structure.

Nov 27, 10 10:50 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Check out earth ships. They are similar to what you are thinking.
Jan 8, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: