Archinect
anchor

Process of becoming an architect

Vancity

Hi, I'm in grade 9, going to grade 10 after summer break. It's always been my dream to become an architect. However, I have no idea how to pursue architecture. I did take a drafting class for a semester and got a pretty decent mark.

Is it hard to be an architect? Do I have to be really good at a particular subject in high school? Are there any things I should take up other than art classes (I'm already in one) that will make me more fit for the job?

Thanks in advance

Jun 24, 14 11:15 pm
CD.Arch
I am in the EXACT same situation as you. Weird. If by chance you have access to a CAD class, take it. I'm lucky enough to have a school with access to great engineering and design classes. Art classes are good, and I've been told to do good in math classes. I took geometry as a freshman, but you might take it next year. Best of luck!
Jun 24, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
However, I'm not sure that math classes are the architects job, that might be more of the contracter's job.
Jun 24, 14 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You need to be good at everything.  Its not a requirement but the better you are, the easier it is.  Math, physics, time management, creative thinking, writing, business, sales skills, detail oriented, problem solver, practical etc.  You name it, and architects probably got it.

skip learning CAD for now. 

Jun 25, 14 12:44 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Yeah, I agree. It doesn't hurt to be competent at everything. And like I said, I am fortunate to have a school with access to the resources to learn CAD. I don't think it's a great course, Autodesk inventor, but it's the basics. I could design a simple dwg and such on a computer.
Jun 25, 14 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Vancity

Thanks for the info guys. It's good to know that I'm not that far off of what I need to do! I can't avoid learning CAD right now because it takes up half the curriculum in my drafting class though.

Would you recommend taking sculpting as an elective in high school?

Jun 25, 14 2:05 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I don't think it would hurt. It might help you visualize project models more. But I don't think that clay or other such materials are great for modeling or drafting. But you have a class for that. I would say go for it.
Jun 25, 14 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Take physics, geometry, trig, calculus, chemistry, shop, art, photography, language and music. Sculpture is good too. Comp sci too. And civics. Yup, pretty much you need to be good at everything like said above. Here is another good idea for high school students wanting to prepare for a career in architecture: volunteer at Habitat for Humanity and get involved in a building project!

Jun 25, 14 4:48 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Vancity - It's never too early to start building your portfolio (which can include art, photography, sculpture, etc.) I would suggest to look at schools and see if you can find out their admissions requirements. If you can, try to see some samples of entrance portfolios - this will give you a target to work towards. 

In terms of your career choice, please do your homework. I don't want to discourage you but, It takes a lot of drive and dedication to make it in this crazy field. I can't tell you how many people I saw drop out (wasting a lot of time and money) in undergrad because they didn't fully understand what they signed up for. However, if you love it ....there is nothing better!

Good luck!

Jun 25, 14 9:13 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

don't put the cart before the horse

reading, riting, and 'rithmetic.  get those down before you leap into the other stuff.

also civics.  don't be one of those tea partiers running around screaming 'i demand a free cheezburger and guns.  constitution!  'murica!'

there is no replacement for core education

Jun 25, 14 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: