Archinect
anchor

Designing for animals, taking inspiration.

minifost

Hi I'm Mike, 

Working with and designing for a non-human client is known to be difficult. Starting Architecture school in September I have taken to the liberty of researching into the criteria of year one at my school. Project 1.1 states that one must design a habitat for an animal living here within the city (England city) I have had some ideas for which animal I have a tendency of designing for although after reading further into the course I have found that:

Tasks 1.2 = Design a small mobile home, no larger than a car parking space using the ideas from task 1.1 and the chosen animal.  

Tasks 1.3 = Design a full building using the ideas from tasks 1.1 and 1.2 

Example = Otters fish,  small home is a fishing boat and full building is a cookery school located near a river where fresh fish is caught and sold.

My Initial choice of animal was the hedgehog, due to its dying population I thought I may be able to preserve the lives of those that dwell within a city. The animal habitat I have though about has gone through some design process although I have no prior experience in designing and only passion and interest to show for myself. 

I have split the criteria for the habitat into 3 distinctive criteria - 

Attraction - It must attract the given animal (Hedgehog)

Container - It must contain the animal and give shelter

3rd - It must protect and serve the animal AND flow and coincide with city life.

My problem comes when i think of project 2, How could i possibly design a small home the size of a car parking space with the hedgehog idea in mind?

My Thinking - A home that can shrink into a ball, like the anatomy of a hedgehog - for transportation and fit within the given size, When in use the home can curl out into a larger more usable space. 

Problem [ Spheres don't fold very far and the only rational thinking of how it may work is if the contents inside were stationary within the centre and possibly fold in on its self and that the roof or floor of this portable home is made from a material like cloth.

Any advice for ideas or help would be appreciated, even just some advice on design processing would be great.

Jun 21, 14 11:12 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: