Archinect
anchor

Sou Fujimoto Internship

hsiuchi

I have a 2 month internship offer from Sou Fujimoto, followed Tezuka Architects right after. Going to ask to be evaluated for potential staff position during the internships but if it doesn't pan out, are these worth it? 

I totally understand the whole non-paying open desk deal in Japan, and the grueling hours, endless model making by hand, my disadvantage with no Japanese language skills, and the lifestyle that is essentially death incarnate. And to be honest I'm ready for the architectural bootcamp if it means I can whip myself in shape and gain valuable skills and experiences, but I'd like to know (preferably from people with experience from either the intern side or the employer side) whether or not these non-paying internship experiences are an asset in future job applications. 

Do employers (North American or Europe) look highly upon people who've done these internships? 

People who have been there and back, do you feel you've gained valuable and marketable skills? 

If I have a choice, should I go for a local firm that can offer me lots of technical experience instead?

Relocating to Japan and working for free for 4-6 month is a big investment, just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the return?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Jun 21, 14 2:27 am
x-jla

The very idea of donating labor to millionaires  makes me want to jump around like planet of the apes.  No it's a terrible investment!  

Jun 21, 14 2:46 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
It's a terrible idea and I actually like Fujimotos work and methodology.

It was said in the BIG thread, what is your play after this? Take another position at a famous firm for $10/hr? Then 5 years down the line you're not licensed, only work on conceptual projects and you might make $40k while donating the majority of your "youth" and have nothing but a couple recognizable names on your resume.
Jun 21, 14 7:39 am  · 
 · 
My stance is that you never work for free. It devalues the profession, and ensures that only the people whose parents can afford to support them during an unpaid internship are the only ones with a shot at making it. I received an offer for an unpaid internship from an office whose work I highly respect and would have been a good name on the resume. I declined it, and I don't regret that decision one bit.
Jun 21, 14 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: