Archinect
anchor

LA County Occupancy load determination - parking counts

greenlander1

Anyone have experience with determining parking requirements for retail space for LA County?  

Wondering how Building and Safety calculates the parking requirements if you have say a retail space.

I was told two different things.

1.  That the whole gross sf of the retail space is divided by 250 to calculate the parking spaces required.

2.  That the dividing factor can change depending on whether the space is actual retail space versus storage/ warehouse space.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 18, 14 2:56 pm
Appleseed

It'll be whatever the Neighborhood Association decrees it to be.

Jun 18, 14 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Also heard that to satisfy parking requirements you can get parking attendants to take care of excess parking needs....

Jun 18, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Greenlander, the first part sounds right.  If you classify the building as two distinct occupancies (an M and an S2, for example), they should allow you to apply different parking requirements for the two uses.

Can't help with respect to the valet - I've never heard of valet being used to provide required parking, only convenience parking.  It is however possible to execute a covenant or agreement to provide the required parking off-site if you can find another property owner who has surplus and amenable.

Jun 18, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Thanks Janosh for confirming.  Yeh we are stuck a little short on parking because of intensification of use in one of the tenants so I was fishing for ways to sneak in parking.

We are also looking for parking offsite for employees too.

Parking is such a bear in LA

Jun 21, 14 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I know that in West Hollywood (now a municipality, but for a long time unincorporated county area) there are conditions of approval for some renovations in older parts of the city that allow contracting for a certain number of parking spaces in existing lots off-site.  You might contact the planning department there and ask around for ideas...

Jun 21, 14 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: