Archinect
anchor

Question about office hierachy

Onebyone

Hi, I am a M.Arch student, currently interning at a mid-size office. (around 30+) This is my first time working in the states, and I am confused about the office hierarchy, or more precisely the working relationship between the intern and juniors. As an intern you follow what a junior architect say?or the boss of your team? 

The junior architect (with +1year experience) has been giving me tasks as all other people were away, but after they come back it feels very weird to have tasks from her. Quite often her opinion doesn't match with the boss and the partner at the end, and it's a small enough team (4 people) to work directly with the boss. I have 2+ years experience in asia and am in the final year in the graduate study, and the junior has been in the office for a year after her undergraduate study. I do respect her experience at the firm, but I am having hard time because of her lack of time management skills. 

Jun 17, 14 10:48 pm
SpatialSojourner

Do whatever moves along the project, working as a cohesive team. Ultimately, you're there to appease the top architect in charge. If she's like do interior elevations but you think wall sections are more important for a permit set, discuss it.  Make sure to be diplomatic about it like, "That's a good idea but I think wall sections would probably be more beneficial." If that doesn't work, always ask the architect in charge what is the most imperative tasks that need to be knocked out so you both will know clearly what's on the agenda. In my experience, you're both basically in the trenches together. Her perceived hierarchy will fade should fade with time. 

Jun 17, 14 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Who signs your paychecks? That's your boss.

Jun 19, 14 11:59 am  · 
 · 

^ Yeah, talk to Deborah in accounting.

When you're at the bottom, everyone is the boss.

Jun 19, 14 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

Anyone with a higher job title can tell you what to do. You'll get there

Jun 19, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I find that it is much more beneficial to leave your ego behind and focus on learning as much as you possibly can from all of the people you are working with. 

Maybe you have more experience than the intern-cum-job captain on this project, but she has more experience at this particular firm, and moreso, she had different experience, and I am sure if you looked past your amazing skills and towering intellect, you could learn a thing or two from her and everyone else in the office.

The first 5-10 years of your career are primarily for listening, watching, and learning. This other young architect needs to go through her own learning process, and if this is a firm with a good culture, the principals are likely more than happy to let her do so.

Jun 19, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
The top guy or gal has priority. Get used to saying something like: "Hi Bill, I see you've asked me to do elevations for the Ajax project, and I will, but Bob told me to work on the Beta presentation so it might take a few days"
Jun 20, 14 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: