Archinect
anchor

BArch or BS Construction Management?

astew

I just typed a massive post and accidentally deleted it haha, so I'll try to keep it quick.

In the fall I'll be a freshman at Cal Poly SLO in the BArch program. I love architecture so I'm very excited, but at the same time I'm stressing out because everything I've read has lead me to believe that architecture is a horrible profession in that jobs are scarce and salaries are pitifully low. I grew up with an image of "the architect" that seems to be very different from what's realistic in the industry today. I can't think of a way to financially justify working 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year (especially with 5+ years of student loan debt). It simply does not sound like a good decision, no matter how gratifying the profession is.

I was looking at other degrees offered at Poly and found Construction Management. After doing  basic research and messaging a few people with construction management degrees, I'm thinking it might be a great way to go. Based on my limited knowledge, this is how the two professions seem to stack up to each other:

Architecture: More gratifying, more creative, degree is more difficult and expensive, working for free, living with mom and dad 

Construction Management: Strong starting salaries, huge ability to travel, easy degree (full of meat-heads?), possibly boring work, possibly more stressful work

I realize this may or may not be an exaggeration for architecture, but I'm just very stressed about life after school. If I was guaranteed to make good money as an architect I'd do it in a heartbeat, but working hard and paying lots of money for a degree that can hardly land me a job seems counter-intuitive at best. The ability to make great money and travel with a relatively easy and objective construction management degree is very appealing to me.

In my major I have the opportunity to minor in construction management, but I feel like it's one or the other in the industry, rather than both. If the ultimate goal is to become a designer, construction education and experience seem irrelevant. If the ultimate goal is to succeed financially, construction management clearly wins. I love architecture, but I'm having a bad time viewing it as a viable career choice. 

Jun 9, 14 1:03 pm

Astew,

Think about your next move long and hard. I could be wrong, construction management is the legal facet of architecture. It is a good field to get into. Besides the financial considerations, make sure it is truly what you want to do. Astew, I think there is a tendency to distinguish fields like construction management  or engineering  from architecture when in reality these fields are under the "umbrella" of architecture. I'll say it again, make sure that construction management is really what you want.

Jun 9, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I don't have a good answer, but if you got the degree in construction mgmt. and worked in the field for a few years (maybe long enough to pay off undergrad loans) you'd be in a good position to apply to an M.Arch program if you were still interested.

Construction experience would not be wasted effort, it could make you a better (and more employable) architect.

Jun 9, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
derekmc825
Well I am graduating from cal poly slo this week with a BArch degree that is currently number 1 in the entire nation. I just landed an architecture designer job in San Diego that pays 55k per year with paid overtime. This is an unusual case but if you love architecture and work hard anything is possible. Goodluck to you, the cal poly program is awesome and only getting better
Jun 9, 14 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I know plenty of people that received a BArch and then went straight into CM, I cant imagine this will change anytime soon. The obvious upside, you can still become an architect after you get sick of making tons of money

Jun 9, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Meat head? Ouch
Jun 9, 14 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
astew

chris moody - thanks, I'll keep that in mind! My grandpa was telling me that I can make all the money in the world and not be happy if I hate waking up for work.

anonitect - That's an idea I had too, going construction management undergrad to get experience and build financial headroom and then go back for an MArch if I feel like it. If employers see construction experience as beneficial to an architect, that's great news too.

derekmc825 - congrats dude! That seems like a great starting job compared to what most people get. I was stoked about it being #1 too haha. 

Olaf Design Ninja_ - that's exactly what I was thinking, especially if the construction experience translates to a higher starting salary/position as a designer.

LITS4FormZ - just something I read (from an architect of course). I have no reason to believe it. 

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate the help. If anyone else with knowledge regarding my question could help, that would be grrrrrreat

Jun 10, 14 1:08 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

derekmc825 - Sounds like great pay, it's more what I was offered starting in construction management.

astew - travel opportunities are very rare for the line of work I'm in. Depends on the size of the company you join I suppose.

anonitect - I couldn't see myself returning to architecture after CM work. I want to do something a little more creative, but see no reason to go back to that field.

Over all its a good career to be in. I'm with the government though, so it's a little different. Workload isn't too bad and benefits are great. There is a bit more stress though and a lot of "shit hits the fan" moments that usually go away quickly. The pay is alright, better than architecture, but I'd still like more for the amount of work I do. CM isn't really full of meatheads, but a lot more regular joes that aren't like the pretentious hipsters in architecture school. Just be prepared for a different sense of humour in the office and unique personalities. 

Jun 10, 14 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: