Archinect
anchor

MArch/MUP vs MArch/MRED

kpbs4041

I apologize if this topic has been covered and I haven't seen it yet.. I've searched around and have seen similar questions asked but not this one specifically,

I have a 4yr BS in architecture (and a long-time interest in planning) and have been working for 3 years at a large US-based architecture firm primarily in master planning and conceptual design. I've become very interested in the economics/planning of large developments, and have had a good deal of exposure to clients and developers as part of the planning work. 

I'm happy with my position, but there is an inevitability that I will go back to school to finish what I started and get a professional degree in architecture. I was initially focusing my research on MArch programs, but now am wondering if adding an additional 1-1.5 yr would be worth it to pair it up with a masters in urban planning or real estate development.

Very interested to hear thoughts on the value of these programs as they relate to master planning and development.. if one has a strategic advantage over another.. and if there are any recommendations out there for specific schools to look at more closely. I believe my transcript, portfolio and work experience are strong enough to get me into most programs.. so it's really a question of finding a very strong program that won't completely bury me in debt.

Thanks all- 

Jun 8, 14 4:24 pm
VB21

Hi kpbs4041,

I have similar questions, particularly about the value of these various programs surrounding urban development and real estate and the schools which one should look at. I know this thread has been inactive, but have you figured this out?  I'd really appreciate some insight. Here's a link to my post:

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/103921737/advice-for-post-graduation-courses-in-urban-studies-and-real-estate-development

Thanks!

Jul 13, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 
batman

go to columbia ms.red

Jul 13, 14 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Get the MArch/ MRED or even better yet just a MRED at a top tier school.  After a BArch you know enough architecture where you aren't going to get a good return on your money for MArch

Aug 22, 14 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Another option is MArch/ MUP has too much overlap

Aug 22, 14 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
KaylaF

I did a MArch/MUD following my 4-year BS undergraduate.  It worked out well as I only had to add a summer and one semester to get both degrees and I had over 60% of my tuition covered by scholarships.  One way to avoid being buried in debt is to apply to a second tier school.  If you are as good as you think you are, they will likely offer you more money to go.  You get a good education, you pay less.  Win win.

Aug 26, 14 11:56 am  · 
 · 
eco_gen

Go for the MRED or a MRE(Masters in Real Estate), it will open the most doors and will land the highest salaries upon graduation, which will provide the monetary flexibility to go off on your own later on and design and develop your own projects. 

Feb 19, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: