Archinect
anchor

Teaching Architecture

inventm

Does anyone out there have any advice on how to get into teaching architecture? I was always told that in order to teach at a professorial level, you needed at least a master's degree, but almost all of my professors at school also had experience working at a firm for at least some time. For any professors out there, what path did you take?

Also, does anyone know if there are any volunteer teaching options available or part-time positions teaching introductory architecture to those without experience? 

Jun 8, 14 2:56 pm
Veuxx
Why would anyone want to learn architecture from anyone without any experience?
Jun 8, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Wrong... I know schools where professors and even dean's had little to none real work experience whatsoever.  They just b.s their way to the top or got hired because of connections. :)

Jun 8, 14 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Those who can not do, teach

At least that is how the saying goes

Jun 9, 14 9:04 am  · 
 · 
-------

You might look into teaching drafting courses at a tech school, to gain some experience. A number of my classmates have had success doing this without any prior experience.

Jun 9, 14 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
KaylaF

Do you follow job listings on http://www.higheredjobs.com/ ?

Reading up on what sorts of jobs get listed, and the types of qualifications/experiences they are looking for can help you determine if your current situation makes you suited for those types of jobs or not.

Jul 22, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Why would anyone want to learn architecture from anyone without any experience?

So that you can keep your childish illusions alive as long as possible without the real world intruding?

Jul 23, 14 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

geezer, I thought that's what the phd is for for...

Jul 23, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  You're right.  The PhD would allow you to teach, which keeps you removed from reality indefinitely.

Jul 23, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: