Archinect
anchor

Pre professional undergrad

mszczere
I've been reading a lot on here about students taking a year or two after their undergrad to work in architecture related jobs before pursuing any further education. Is there any advantage to this path? Does it increase your chances of getting accepted into a decent MArch? Would this path make sense for someone who is coming from a non accredited arch program? Any information or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 5, 14 1:05 pm
jdparnell1218

I have a non-accredited degree.  I haven't tried going into a Master's program because I've been working in the field for the last 3 years.  An accredited program would probably increase your chances of being accepted, but at the end of the day your portfolio, grades, and extra-circular activities probably hold more weight.

Jun 5, 14 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
It is best to find what you want to focus on in graduate school by getting some experience first. Many students who just jump into graduate school have no clue what they want to specialize in. Others who interned do know where they will be in their career as soon as they leave graduate school. This way you can develop your skills in a valuable niche that will save you when a recession rolls around.
Jun 10, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

I'm doing it for the extra time to work on my portfolio as well as simply taking a break from the hell (enjoyable hell :)) that is architecture school.

Jun 10, 14 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: