Archinect
anchor

Public libraries with tree-like ground-plans

hpstricker

The books in a public library are usually ordered according to a classification scheme - like LCC - which typically are hierarchically structured i.e. like a  tree. And so the physical books are hierarchically ordered in buildings, rooms and shelves - at least ideally. The hierarchical, i.e. tree-like, organization of the physical books may not be visible at a glance, but it is there.

What I wonder about is whether there is a library building somewhere in the world, for which the architect deliberately choose an explicitly tree-like ground-plan. "Tree-like" does not mean that the ground-plan must contain sharp or obtuse angles (like they typically occur in real trees), or that there have to be branchings at all: it may be an abstract, highly stylized tree, like nested sets (or in the library case: nested rooms).

Any hint is welcome!

Thanks.

Jun 5, 14 1:21 pm
jdparnell1218

I feel like that sort of floor plan would be horribly inefficient.

Jun 5, 14 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
hpstricker

At first sight such floor plans must be "horribly inefficient". But why cannot there be more elegant, ingenious solutions (for which I am looking for)?

Jun 5, 14 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Decimal_Classification

Jun 5, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
hpstricker

Do you want to say that DDC is "horribly inefficient"? That depends: some people would say that DDC did fulfill its service quite good.

Jun 5, 14 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

I'm saying, that the implementation of DDC is better than designing a library around trees and branches.  You won't create a floor plan based on the system you are trying to investigate because:

a.) It will take up a mind-numbing amount of square footage

b.) You will create a maze.  People will get lost.

c.) You won't find a public institution that will go away from a time-tested classification system.

It is a nice thought, it just is not practical.

Jun 5, 14 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
hpstricker

I could not have hoped for a more concise answer - thanks! But I could have foreseen it. Now I have to think about a reply.

Anyway: Are you aware of publiclly available discussions of this topic?

Jun 5, 14 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

I am not.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jun 5, 14 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: