Archinect
anchor

Current BArch in the US, planning for MArch in the UK, advice needed.

tchutcha

So I'm currently an international student studying in the US (in a 5-year professional program) -- currently an oncoming 5th year. 

I'm considering of doing my masters in the UK. But I'm quite new to the system there and was wondering about the RIBA Part 2 entry requirements (or for Masters study in general for UK architecture schools). Are there US's equivalent to the RIBA Part 1? Any other specific / unique requirements that I should know about?

Also, I'm curious whether you'd recommend me of taking a year or two to gather more work experience before going to Masters in the UK? -- this is currently my plan anyway as I didn't want to go in for Masters right after graduation next year. 

(=Schools I'm thinking about are UCL, Sheffield, Oxford Brookes, Manchester -- not a final list though - need to do much more research.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 4, 14 10:54 am
TED

Hi tchutcha!

Always good to do experience before graduate school, either US/UK.

Most UK schools who offer par 2 will take you in without a part 1 [exceptions: AA, Cardiff, Glassgow, DipArch programmes [type] or programmes that have a continuous degree]

Generally, you get your part 2 then go to ARB with your part 2 drawings, pay +- £2k and get your part 1.

Am at Oxford, so email me if you want info.

Good thing about part 2 - as international you can work full time between years.

Jun 4, 14 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

A 5-year US B.Arch is already a UK Part I + Part II. With a decent folio you should be able to get your US degree exempted for both parts ( I heard it's not easy though)

Is there a particular reason why you want to repeat basically the 4th and 5th year again ?

I would be looking at post-prof M.Arch .... AADRL or M.ArchGAD at the Bartlett if I were you.

Jun 4, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
kartikjadhav

Hey hi,

I am graduated form Uni, of Sheffield. My suggestion will be leaning towards US instead of UK.

Jun 5, 14 3:24 am  · 
 · 
edvanard

hi there, im taking my master in Sheffield uni now, feel free to message me if you want!

Jun 5, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: