Archinect
anchor

Was the Guggenheim museum a revolution?

Taking the cue from (my) article on the history of Wright's Guggenheim museum in NY described under an exhibition design point of view, that Inexhibit museum magazine has just posted, I would like to ask you a question so to know your opinion. 

The article poses a question to architects and designers: whether or not the Wright's design has become an archetype for modern museums. What do you think about?

You can see it here, it's free http://www.inexhibit.com/

The article is entitled " The Guggenheim, an American Revolution"

Best,
Riccardo

Jun 2, 14 1:43 pm
Non Sequitur

No, not a revolution. Just a nice whimsical building that has grown deep nostalgic roots with people from both sides of the profession.

I feel your question is loaded. It would be best to first define what is an architectural revolution. Personally I find it hard to describe anything as revolutionary since the Romans figured out that they could build with a simple mixture of rocks, lime and water.

Jun 2, 14 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ I agree.  Revolutions in architecture are almost always the result of technological advances in materials/technology.  Concrete, sheet glass, elevators, steel, etc.   architects are innovators not revolutionaries.  

Jun 2, 14 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

the guggenheim museum has about seven revolutions

Jun 2, 14 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

A revolution? No.

A new typology? yes.

Jun 2, 14 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

My opinion is that the Guggenheim has been a "revolution" from an exhibition design point of view more than from an architectural one. Not because of the sloped gallery or the curved walls, which proved themselves substantially unsuitable for displaying works of art properly, but because it was the first museum to be conceived as a whole space, without the usual (boring) series of rooms where paintings and sculptures are displayed in a rigid order. The idea of a place where people, artworks and architecture meet in one single, socializing space is revolutionary indeed. If this typology is always the best solution for all museums is questionable.

Jun 3, 14 2:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Even with your description, it's still not revolutionary. I've even found the Gug's regular exhibition spaces that branch off from the main atrium ramp to be rather stale. I am much more a fan of the French "Salon" style for displaying artwork and I use this display style when I hang up paintings on my walls.

Jun 3, 14 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: