Archinect
anchor

AA for Grad School?

cjlv

I'm about to begin my final year of architecture undergraduate studies here in the US and I'm beginning to look into my interests for after graduation. I'm looking at taking time off to work as well as just considering going straight into grad school. I'm especially interested in applying to the AA one day. Does anyone have advice on what the AA is currently looking for in their applicants. Does work experience make a stronger application, for example? If anyone who has applied with success under similar circumstances could give me some insight that would be wonderful! 

Jun 1, 14 12:35 pm
TED

If you only have a 4 year you will only be allowed to take the MA/MSc - all the MArch's require professional degree [either 5 year BArch or MArch

It never is wise to go to grad school straight out of undergrad -

Jun 1, 14 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
lukeggg

Hey cjlv,

I am in a very similar situation and I have made the decision to take an AA Visiting School class this summer in the US. I am not sure if it will help me get into the AA, but at least it will help me in deciding whether or not it is right for me. I suggest you look into some of the options they have around the country (or internationally) as you may meet some people/professors who you can make some sort of a connection with.

Jun 1, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
eskimo457

Hi CJiv,

I went to the AA for an MA in Housing and Urbanism. The AA is a great school with a lot of resources, if you know how to take advantage of them. Most of the MA programs are 1 year straight, so be prepared for a very intense year. Additionally you will not have a typical studio space. Most of the MA programs are lecture and group project work, only your thesis will be individual. You will be doing a lot of independent research and ideally will be giving most of your attention to AA work. As I mentioned before, the resources provided by the school are plentiful, but don't expect them to be readily accessible 24/7 like in the States. 

I agree with TED, you really should take some time off between undergrad and grad school, especially for the AA. The programs are very focused and you should have a good idea of what you want to study before you apply. You don't need to know your thesis project, but you should know the interest of the teachers. I took (2) years off, and I wish I had taken more. My time at the AA was amazing, but I think maturity in character only enhances your experience in grad school. 

If you still want to apply, you should research the programs throughly, read up on the teachers in the program, search on the internet for what the previous years grad students were doing (most have websites), and have a clear idea of what you will learn in the program. Work on the statements in your application.

You can always defer a year, if you decide to get more real-world experience. But most importantly you need to think about what the school will give you, you are paying to go there, they should be fighting for you. If you are looking for a job in London I would recommend the Barlett instead, if you are looking for top-notch zeitgeist discussions the AA is your place.

Good luck!

Jun 1, 14 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: