Archinect
anchor

Asking for a raise

molten

So, I've been at my first post-grad job for just about a year now. The firm is mid-sized (DC) and we have a healthy amount of work and have been very busy. I currently make $14/h + benefits, rarely do I work overtime. I want to ask for a raise, and I think I have good ground to ask for one - I am told fairly consistently by senior staff as well the firm's partner that I am doing great. I mainly work on CD sets, pick up redlines, and more occasionally zoning research, space planning and renderings/graphics. The problem is, I wish to ask for a raise of at least 30%. On paper, that number seems quite high but given the market (yes, clichè - I know) I feel I should be making more - and by market I mean all of my friends are earning 35k-42k, with the absolute minimum being 30k/year (we all work in the DC market). At my current  I will admit that I did not negotiate the pay at all when I was hired; in retrospect, I did not do my research on compensation and was just happy to get an offer from this specific firm.

Is it unwise to ask for such a significant raise? I truly like where I work but I'm worried I may just be better off searching for a new job and making sure I don't sell myself short. 

May 31, 14 6:39 pm
natematt
What is your education and experience?
May 31, 14 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
molten

Sorry - forgot to mention that bit. I have a B.Arch, 1 year post-grad experience, 1 year intern experience before then. 

May 31, 14 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Molten
I have done this twice before. Both times I had my resumes and a list of accomplishments from that year. It was in the first year of employment and the second was 3 month later. First I ask for benefits in place of a monetary raise and later it was a significant monetary raise. Both times were honored in a recession.

You employer has molded you to thier needs and your just working where they need you. For them to train another person for your position would mean another searching for the right person again. It's in their best interest to raise your compensation rather than go through the process of finding an employee to fill the position. Also get a new title. So your resume will show that you have moved up in the firm

I'm sure you'll find how to begin to ask for a raise elsewhere so I just wanted to say that you'd be cutting your self short if you don't ask now.
May 31, 14 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I'm in DC as well with about the same amount of experience but only hold a BS.  $14 an hour sounds insanely low, definitely ask for that 30%+, you're worth at least that to the firm.  If they're not willing, you can make at least $40K a year at another place (from my experience searching for a new firm and the offers that I received) 

May 31, 14 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Full time permanent position with a professional degree in a major city... i'd say 38k+ at least.

If you're talented 45k+ wouldn't be unreasonable in my mind, but then again it seems like DC is a little over-saturated.

Jun 1, 14 5:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: