Archinect
anchor

Recommended Book(s) on Aesthetics

Los Angeles

I was wondering if anyone has read any interesting books on Aesthetics? I am looking more so for the perception of Aesthetics; and what, why, and how we deem objects and space as beautiful and different. 

Thanks

May 30, 14 6:00 pm
accesskb

Beauty is subjective but you could pick up some books on design principles in general

May 30, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
-------

It's been ages since I read it, but The Dynamics of Architectural Form, by Rudolf Arnheim, is an interesting read.

May 30, 14 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Seki's and Ramachandran's work in neuroaesthetics is worth checking out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroesthetics.

And by the way, "beauty" isn't really that subjective. But aesthetic responses do involve values, which are highly individualized.

May 30, 14 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Beauty: A Very Short Introduction by Roger Scruton.

May 31, 14 2:40 am  · 
 · 

On Bullshit, by Harry G. Frankfurt.

May 31, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Read some of Pallasmaa and Zumthor's books. My personal favourites are The Eyes of the Skin, Atmospheres, Thinking Architecture.

May 31, 14 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Mark Foster Gage wrote a book called "Aesthetic Theory: some long subtitle that I can't remember." It's got a lot of excerpts from people like Kant and Burke in it. Seems like a decent starting point.

May 31, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Los Angeles

I actually read the books by J. Pallasmaa and P. Zumthor, but I will definitely check out some of the other recommendations. 

Thanks for the recommendations, greatly appreciated!  

Jun 1, 14 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I would highly recommend Homemade Esthetics: Observations on Art and Taste by Clement Greenberg - an excellent book.

Jun 1, 14 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Wabi Sabi, by Leonard Koren

Jun 1, 14 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
-------

WABI SABI is a great book. It appears as though Mr. Koren is prepping a second book on that topic.

I also like his ARRANGING THINGS (which isn't necessarily the type of book you're asking about) and UNDESIGNING THE BATH.

Jun 1, 14 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: