Archinect
anchor

Sealing peer reviewed drawings

ctown

Does anyone have experience in a firm where mulitple architects are able to sign and seal drawings? I'm curious how the responsibility for stamping is determined.

In previous firms that I've worked in, from very small to fairly large, only one principal has generally sealed the drawings.  I'm licensed in NY and recently received reciprocation in NJ, where I currently work.  My firm has an architect who's a principal in the firm and has previously signed and sealed all projects. (plus a couple of other licensed architects in staff)

For the past 6 months or so I've been performing technical and peer reviews on the drawings before they're issued to check for compliance with office standards and quality control.

I'm now being asked to sign and seal drawings for the projects that I review, even though I haven't been involved with most of the projects or the production of the drawings.  Also, I'm a senior architect, but not in a principal role where I have responsiblity over the senior staff members that are  running the projects I'm reviewing.

It feels like I shouldn't take on liability for these projects.  Almost feels like rubber stamping someone else's drawings.  Am I wrong?

May 30, 14 1:34 pm

You are correct.  Unless you have ownership in the firm you should not take on the firm's risk liability.

May 30, 14 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
frankehall

I agree with Donna.  Why are they asking anyone other than a partner in the firm to seal drawings?  Is there additional compensation for that role?  Do you have adequate authority over the creation of those drawings or adequate familiarity with the particulars of the project?  Even more importantly, what happens a few years down the road when a claim arises from the project, and the lawsuit is directed at you?  Where will the firm be then, especially if you no longer work there?

May 30, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Ask to be made a partner.

May 31, 14 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: