Archinect
anchor

Can an unlicensed Architect own an Architecture firm (fully or partially) in California?

robothead

I know of an individual who is planning on buying out an architecture firm; however, she is not licensed.  She has a degree in civil engineering, and a construction background, but does not have a degree in Architecture nor a license.  I will be licensed in about a month, and my interpretation of the Architects Practice Act is that it is unlawful for any business owner to use a business name that includes "Architecture/Architect/etc" that is not licensed in California.

Can this person legally become owner or part-owner?  Can they own the majority of the business?  Does this it make it okay if they partner with a licensed Architect (even if that Architect only owns 49% or less)?  

May 28, 14 12:36 pm
Non Sequitur

no such thing as an unlicensed architect.

In my market, 51% of a practice must be owned by licensed architects or more specifically, no non-architect can hold a majority stake in a practice.

May 28, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

It varies by state. Check California's practice act.

May 28, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
robothead

Here is an excerpt directly from the latest Architect's Practice Act from the California Architect's Board website:

§ 5535.2 Partnerships with Non-Architects 
This chapter does not prevent an architect from forming a business entity or 
collaborating with persons who are not architects, provided that any architects’ 
professional services that are provided through that entity or collaboration are offered 
and provided under the responsible control of an architect, or architects, and in 
accordance with the provisions of this chapter. 

I'm still unclear about how WHAT PERCENTAGE of an architecture firm a non-Architect can own.... thoughts???

May 28, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Looks like any percentage, but there needs to be at least 1 licensed architect owner.
May 28, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
graad

You can't have the equivalent of a professional limited liability corporation as everyone who is an owner would have to be licensed. You would have to be a general corporation. This is from personal experience when inquiring with the state.

In Michigan, a person has a form to file with the state showing ownership of a firm by a non-licensed person if there is a certain ratio.

May 28, 14 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

If a M. Arch. is the only thing holding you back, you can get licensed in California without a professional degree.  So you could go get licensed in that state and become an owner I suppose.

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements.aspx?jurisid=9

May 28, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Who in their right mind would want to buy an architecture practice?

WORST INVESTMENT EVER!

May 28, 14 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

It could be practical if an engineering firm is trying to absorb one.

May 28, 14 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

@jdparnell, only if said engineering firm is willing to burn bridges with any architect they ever consulted for in the past.  

May 28, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

@chigurh Maybe.  There are plenty of engineering firms in my town that have an architecture department.  They still get consultant gigs that they aren't the architects on.  From what I understand, their architecture departments are pretty bad as far as design goes.  It is just a cost saver that they can offer clients.  It doesn't mean the client has to hire them to do both engineering and architecture.

May 28, 14 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I just don't understand why everyone is trying to circumvent the system? Put in the time, get the education, and do it the RIGHT way... 

May 28, 14 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
To the OP: your friend better figure this out before laying down her money.
May 28, 14 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

robothead: advise your friend to spend a few bucks with a good attorney with broad experience in the construction industry. That way she'll have an authoritative answer to the question(s) you are asking -- rather than relying on the profound legal expertise available here on Archinect.

Good luck.

May 28, 14 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Quizzical, get yourself checked - you're talking a little too much 'reasonable advice' for these boards!

May 28, 14 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: