Archinect
anchor

M.Arch with no art/architecture experience

beccaz

I am a rising senior studying finance at Clemson University but don't enjoy business classes and only choose the field because of it's stability and generality. I have always dreamed of studying architecture and have strong passion for it. I have zero art background, I have a lot of math background, a vast appreciation for art, history, and culture, but was never taught how to be creative and have never worked in a creative/art focused environment (although I'm confident I would enjoy it), so have no clue how to start a portfolio.

Where do people with no art/architecture background start in the portfolio creating process? I have read on the forum that grad schools mostly look for creativity and a knowledge of three dimensional objects in the portfolio for non-architectural background applicants. Would it be necessary to take some sort of art classes/workshops to start, or should I just try to create some works on my own? (no-prior personal art experience although I truly love art and architecture)  

Since I have no architecture background, would it be impossible to get a graduate assistant-ship position?

I am also interested in humanitarian work in architecture, (work in developing countries, after natural disasters, etc). Are there any programs that have focuses in this type of work? I have learned of a few firms that do this type of work, but don't know much about them. 

Considering my lack of art and architecture background, but my love for design, history, and preservation of culture, would it be wise to consider a masters in architecture, or are there other related fields that I should look into?

May 26, 14 11:46 pm
monosierra

Would be helpful to enroll at intro-level programs such as Career Discovery at GSD or more intensive ones such as New York/Paris at GSAPP. They are designed for design novices.  Very heavy investments in time and money but worth it to the extent that, in the worst case scenario, one could realize the architecture school isn't all that it is cranked out to be after completing these programs. If you do decided to apply, then you could get letters of recommendation from program instructors, not to mention a strong portfolio.

The challenge of doing one's own projects is that you have to find critics. I found it tough to go about developing design based on my own (noob) judgement alone. One self-directed project that ended up decent (but certainly not as rigorous as hoped) combined my background in econ research and interest in architecture.

As for humanitarian design, I think Mass Design Group needs people with design experience while organizations that welcome volunteers may be more relaxed e.g. Habitat for Humanity - although design opportunities would be more limited.

May 27, 14 4:54 am  · 
 · 
jll3

As monosierra said, an intro architecture program like the ones at GSD, GSAPP, UCLA etc. would be good to look into.

I also had a business undergrad, though I knew I wanted to go into architecture after graduating, so I had taken some graphic design and drawing/art classes while in undergrad. Most of the work in my portfolio was projects from the design classes, with an emphasis on the process rather than the final product, as well as drawings from classes I had taken at community colleges.

May 27, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Beccaz,
You got something different to offer to the architecture profession. It is not design. Use your background to your advantage. Some graduate school love diagrams in the portfolio. If you can develop an analysis of energy usage, construction cost, or any kind of case study would show that you applied your background to your passion. Or maybe a graduate program that offers a duel degrees in business and architecture, make you more valuable in the profession.
May 27, 14 11:26 am  · 
 · 

I got into an M.Arch program with an urban planning background, which, is also design-oriented (at least in part). But that's not everyone. What programs are looking for is any sort of creative ability. If you have volunteer experience, document that with pictures or even rough sketches if it involved building/assembling something. Try to be concise and to the point - reviewers don't want to read novels and tons of random pictures. Draw, write, sketch, and shoot! But more importantly, be presentable. No need to have the sharpest images or most brilliant writing, but at least be clear, and not rushed.

May 28, 14 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
theunicorn

I was accepted into all the M. Arch programs I applied to (two in the top 20), and aside from having taken a drawing class in college, I didn't have an art background. That being said, basically everything in my portfolio was from that one class. I'd highly recommend at least taking a 2D media class, if nothing else before applying to programs. Also a good GPA and GRE scores, thoughtful essay (and well-written) and nice recommendations can help. And be realistic with the schools you choose to apply to.

May 28, 14 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: