Archinect
anchor

Photography in architecture portfolios

hsiuchi

Is photography appreciated in architectural portfolios that are for job applications?

Lets just assume that the photographic work in question is of a certain standard and creative intention and the subject is relevant (so not instagram photos of feet).  I'm asking because I've seen beautiful and high standard portfolios with a photography section. Clearly it does not provide indication of ones ability to design buildings, but it can perhaps be an indication of the applicant/designer's taste, their creative sensibility, or their perspective on architecture and the city. I don't know, but I'm curious for other thoughts.

May 26, 14 4:11 am
accesskb

Depends on which firm you're applying to and what position.  I'm sure most 'creative' firms would enjoy photography in your portfolio.  Just make sure you have enough architectural projects so photography is just an icing on the cake to show your other interests and creative eye. 

May 26, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Sure. I like to see how people apply their creative eye to other areas. It's also good to see that prospects have broader interests than just architecture. I include some of my paintings and other work in my portfolio, as well as less-conventional but still creative stuff.

The main issue is: is the work any good? If it is, include it. If it's not, don't.

May 28, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: