Archinect
anchor

I want to design buildings

choijw2

Hi,

I am 24 years, working as project estimator for roofing and siding contractor which helps me a lot seeing buildings from inside and out. 

but my goal was becoming an architect but now that I am working in construction field, 

becoming an architect isn't like what I thought it would be

but I still want to design buildings my own

my question is can only architects design buildings that can be built?

I have seen LEED AP cert. , building design, can these people design buildings?

I know I can work as CAD drafter or work for architect firm, but I wanted to see what other options outs there 

also If I want work in remodeling, such as bathroom, kitchen, or whole office, 
do I have to come out with drawings and go through city for permit?
or can I just come out with ideal drawing that shows how finish work will come out and floor plan and interior elevation etc.. and just do the work? 

Sorry for not being ao clear, but thats because I feel lost 

thank you for your help. 

May 25, 14 9:46 pm
marisco

Technically anyone can design a building, you only need a structural engineer to stamp it; whether it is a good design or not.....

what type of buildings do you want to do? Residential, commercial, industrial, or ?

most areas will let anyone do residential (single family, duplex/semi-detached) without an architect, hence why there are so many cookie cutter subdivisions and builders. 

Maybe you can elaborate as to what kind of building?

May 25, 14 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

wait, so you need stamp from a structural engineer not an architect?

so If I design a building and get a stamp from engineer, I can build it? 

I am interested in designing mixed use buildings

such as retails on first floor and housing on higher level. 

May 25, 14 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

With all the architecture and various design school pumping out fresh armies every semester, I doubt you would have success getting into an office. Perhaps it would be best to take a tech diploma at a local college and seek employment with a large residential development firm that needs cheap grunts to churn out custom changes to their existing models.

No one is special enough to skip through the academic and licensing steps required.

May 25, 14 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what if choi's the One?

WHAT if???!?!?

May 25, 14 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

what is architect's role in real life?

to me, it seems like most of design and drafting is done by CAD tech and engineers, 

some times architects would ask sub-contractors for an idea,

even tho this would be different for every firm,

anyone here working for an architect firm?

May 25, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Non Sequitur- No one is special enough to skip through the academic and licensing steps required.

maybe he is the next Frank Lloyd Wright or Tadao Ando.. he can be self taught and become a honorary architect someday.

May 26, 14 12:04 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

did i say anything about skiping licensing ?

May 26, 14 12:11 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

yea, why would you want to skip licensing?

May 26, 14 12:37 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

I dont want to skip licensing, and when did I say that? 

May 26, 14 12:44 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

okay...

I am NOT saying i want to skip licensing (even though I dont know how you got that idea)
what I want to know is it seems like there are many people who designs buildings but not an architect. maybe Im wrong, 

and what is architect's role in real life? to me, it seems like most of design and drafting is done by CAD tech and engineers, some times architects would ask sub-contractors for an idea, even tho this would be different for every firm, anyone here working for an architect firm?

so now lets stop assuming that I am trying to skip licensing please? 

May 26, 14 1:15 am  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

I suppose for me a (responsible) architect utilizes his/her knowledge of design and ethics along with technical abilities to create projects that makes better spaces/environments/neighborhoods and cities. I think what you are asking is what is the value of an architectural education, because you obviously already have the technical skills. I believe architecture school teaches one how to organize your thoughts and design in a way that thinks critically about the consequences of making a building. A badly designed building can have serious and lasting detrimental effects on neighborhoods and the people living in/around it, even if it technically is standing and stable and "built to code". Take modernist mass housing for example, planners are often blamed for sterile post war neighborhoods but the design of the buildings itself also contributed to a variety of social and urban issues, and cities today are still recovering from those mistakes if not continuing to make them.

An architect can potentially have profound influence on quality of life, and a good architectural education provides one with the ability to think critically about his or her decisions and actions, because a building (regardless if its a tiny house or a giant condo) has real and serious affects on individual people as well as the city and culture. 

If you don't see the value in going through with a program, at least stay informed and educated on the literature, as long as you are a responsible designer then there is no correct way for you to gain credentials to build. Tadao Ando never went to arch school but he studied rigorously and traveled extensively, he innovated new ways of casting concrete and carefully crafted spaces that offered new and inspiring experiences. The term "architect" is almost industry semantics (although with heavy legal implications). Whatever you want to call yourself, just be aware that the things you build are going to be there for a long-ass time, so either through school or through your own endeavors, aspire to be a responsible designer. 

Anyways sorry for the long-ass response but hope this helps..even if a little bit.

May 26, 14 2:40 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Skipping licensing is a no no. Don't do it.

May 26, 14 6:50 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Where are you?  The forums are often american-centric, so the assumptions about licensing might be different where you are.  architects typically do the designing as well as drafting.  Seems to me there are just too many architects for it to be practical to have cad techs that aren't also architects.  We also ask contractors questions so we know how all the different bits of  building go together, but that's a pretty narrow view of what architects do.

I wonder what frank lloyd wright's posts would look like if he were posting here.  He probably wouldn't ask if a leed ap cert allows you to design buildings.  ultimately, the person who hires the architect gets to make the design decisions if they want to, so maybe instead of thinking about being an architecd or draftsman, you could consider being a developer.

May 26, 14 7:57 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

Thanks hsiuchi ,  

and to me, there is nothing more valuable than architect's knowledge, to me an architect is designer, engineer, planner, inspiration and more. I studied urban planning and developer as under and I been planning going to architecture program for masters but it's really rough time in my life right now, 

also after working at for construction company and talking to many many many architects at conferences and work, I was really disappointed because literately NONE of them recommended me going to arch school because of economy and job market. this really discouraged me. also seeing many of NOT responsible designers.... really made me sad 

Even though this didnt really change my idea of going to architect school for now im studying on my own and planning to go to community college

May 26, 14 8:45 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

curtkram, 

im in US and i dont care about licensing steps and not trying to skip and im not having narrow view of what architects do, actually trying to know more about architects role in real life.

and yes that seems more logical to hire an architect with cad skills than hiring someone who can only do cad, so i guess i was just wrong about people who are not an architect building deisngs

so leed ap cant design buildings? then what is leed ap building design is for? 

May 26, 14 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

LEED is mostly a green-washing status. It's not related to building design, it's more about filling in check-lists so that your client can pretend they are curing cancer and saving the whales with their projects.

May 26, 14 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And the polar bears. To be licensed you need an accredited degree in architecture, then you are an intern for 3 years (or 20) and then you take a 7 part exam. LEED is a label anyone can get, you have to pass an exam though.

May 26, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 

what is architect's role in real life?

It's like what Bob Dole said when asked if he prefers Jockeys or Boxers. Depends.

May 26, 14 9:59 am  · 
 · 
choijw2

Jaffe, 

I see you got degree in industrial design, 

how did you get into architectural design with that degree?

May 26, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi
Essentially the only way to achieve what you want to do (build mixed use developments in US or Canada) is to obtain an MArch from an accredited school, fulfill your internship hours at accredited firms (2 years worth) write the exams and continue to pay your license fee to sustain a valid license. That's essentially the legal definition of what an architect is, you cannot market yourself to clients as an "architect" without these credentials. Yes people do build without license or without that title, but they are restricted to buildings that are under 3 floors (I think? Essentially low buildings) and under a certain square footage and capacity, so mixed use developments are not included in that.
Unfortunately you will never really get a chance to "build your own buildings", you'll always be working with some kind of a client or commission, especially for buildings like mixed use, and it'll be near impossible to attract clients/commissions if you are not a certified architect who can stamp off on their own drawings.

You also mentioned remodelling, that's another story, it falls more in the realm of interior design (depending on the scale/scope of the work). Little things you can do on your own, things that involve plumbing,electricity, light structural stuff you can go ahead and do them (with the right trades people) but the finished result will need to be inspected and approved by the city. Larger renovations or the changing of the building foot print / additions on the property will require submissions of drawings to the city for stamp and approval.

Hopefully that's more relevant to your questions!
May 26, 14 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi
My bachelors was in industrial design as well, some MArch programs do admit people with diverse backgrounds, as long as you have a decent portfolio.
May 26, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

thank that helped alot

btw Jaffe seems like got degree in industrial design and went straight to  architect firm

as design associates, interesting

and yes many of M.Arch does not require arch degree in undergrad, 

I have long way to go .... 

May 26, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi
I can't speak for Jaffe but anyone can begin working for a firm and collecting hours even before their MArch degree, it's up to the employer who they want to hire. A design associate is not required to stamp off on drawings, therefore it can be anyone with the smarts and talent.
May 26, 14 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
hsiuchi

I apologize, looks like he is a principal.  That comment above totally does not apply. 

May 26, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
I think we're missing a point that was stated.

You stated:

Other architects have suggested that you should not go to school to become an architect. You'll see that consistently through out this forum as well. It's quite interesting how we spend our time on these forums, because we happen to love what we do. If we didn't, we wouldn't spend time on archinect. Yet, the moment any asks whether they should go to school, were quick to say "don't do it!!!"

I don't know about anyone else here, but if this existed while I was in high school, and I asked that and got those replies as consistently as they show up on here, I wouldn't be doing what I love.

With that being said, architects nowadays seem to have a very negative point of view in terms of anyone else finding a job. They have very good reason to have that point of view. We all know of the many that fell victim within our profession. Heck, it took me almost 4 years to find a job in a firm. Of course, I was self employed those 4 years, but I was constantly searching.

Either way, my suggestion: Go to school. Find out if this what you want to do.

Because architects don't just "design beautiful buildings." We skillfully find ways for the building to engage people to the "life" in and around the building. That is the ultimate success of each of our projects.
May 27, 14 12:45 am  · 
 · 

that's cute. 

May 27, 14 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
choijw2

Okay I choose my words poorly, they didn't say don't go to school, 
why they telling me was they don't recommend it, not because it's not a good job or anything but because financial/ job market reason. it is understandable due to high number of arch. students graduating but job market doesn't keep with that number. 

but I was more wondered how some people without architecture degree get to work with architects and involves in building design, 

things went out of topic earlier and we got here but Im glad, got number of good responds, and how this is so cute...

but cg_8, thank you for your respond!

May 27, 14 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: